• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Adobe Caves!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Dilger wrote: "...And Adobe saw four horsemen of the apocalypse ascending from the sea, the rider of the white horse was Steve Jobs and he was bent on conquest. And a second horse, red, was given to iPhone to take away market share from smartphones, and to cause phone makers to wage war and to fall upon their own swords.

"And a third horse, black, was carrying the scales of the iPod touch, and it measured out music playback from iTunes and sold many apps and starved other mobile platforms of mobile application demand. And fourth horse, pale, had a rider named iPad, which pundits called Death. And it caused famine for tablets and plague for slates and killed with a sword. And none of the horsemen used Flash.

"And Adobe frightfully woke from its vision of terrors, and realized that its days of monopolizing the web with Flash content were over.

"...And then Adobe began building HTML5 development tools, and it charged reasonable prices and built cross-platform products and the people rejoiced and Adobe's death was spared and it lived comfortably for many days next to Apple.

"And Steve Jobs said thank you and Adobe said no, thank you. And they all lived happily ever after."

Nice. Really - probably the best move Adobe had. They fought the good fight, and lost. So it goes some times. Unfortunately for them, it's probably the beginning of the end for Flash assuming HTML 5 delivers as advertised. Good move by Adobe to adjust their strategy before it's too late. (Kodak???)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I hate to say this but of all the developers, Adobe has been the most hard headed. They've been at odds with Apple since the 80s, they've been in trouble for years with Microsoft, what's up with those folks?

Maybe now they have finally begun to realize that cooperation with the "big boys" is smarter than trying to go it alone. I just wish they would get realistic about pricing their software.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I bet mobile devices all over the world a breathing a sigh of relief being that their batteries are not going to be used up as fast now. :p

It's always disappointing to go to a site that doesn't consider iOS devices in their video experience. With the strong presence of iOS and the new iPad 2, websites need to realize how big of an audience they are alienating.

I'm also hoping more TV networks who use flash to display their shows will utilize Wallaby, so I can watch those shows on my iPad on the go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I fund it funny they named this after an Australian animal - the wallaby.
And I think this is a smart move by Adobe. Flash is very not dead yet. But I think the major battles had outcomes that did not favour flash. And I think Adobe realised this and can't kill flash cold turkey or they'll alienate some of the flash using public. So they are slowly killing it by making the flash to html5 convertors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Yeah, not sure what the significance of a wallaby is in all this... Maybe they'll come out with a bigger and better (however less cute) version called Kangaroo.

Best part of that article... The Chronicles of Conflict.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.