• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The year 2000

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
Anyone feel as if the good ole days are gone? Particularly talking about quality of video games? I feel underwhelmed nowadays, COD is good but releasing a new one every year makes it get old, and there's lack of innovation the market is nearly flooded with first person shooters.

It is cool now you can download old school games, and mini games but bring me back the quality of last generation! Even the PS2, GameCube, Xbox, and Dreamcast had some memorable games, but it's been a little disappointing.

Ten years ago the PS2 in 2001 was releasing classics such as Gran Turismo 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy X, and Devil May Cry! Now the games just aren't as good, anyone feel the same way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Year 2000 the good old days?

The good old days were the 1960's with better music and a magnificent tennis game you played on your TV set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The good old days were the 1960's with better music and a magnificent tennis game you played on your TV set.

Maybe Harry, the good old days were when we were all kids :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

I was thinking the same thing. The "good old days" are different to different people.

Sometimes I like to think that the "good old days" are those days that are still ahead of us...endless possibilities.:) And...sometimes many of the "good old days"...weren't all that good.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
When I was a kid, I was watching Bugs Bunny, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Transformers. I fairly confident that the late 80's and early 90's are perfect just because of that. In fact, it's not even open to debate - it's objective fact. Case solved. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
I don't think that the PS2/XBox/GameCube days were the good ol' days for me, but I can agree. There haven't been too many very high quality games lately. They all seem to focus on delivering the most gore with the highest graphic quality. Nothing behind the blood and guts splattering on the T.V. screen. I have a strong preference to the days of the Playstation 1. I really liked Metal Gear Solid, WipeOut (Which does look amazing in full HD on the PS3, still fun!), and others. That, in my opinion, was one of the greatest systems in my opinion.

Reaction score
In 2K, I was always outside, playing [insert sport here] with friends.

Video games didn't become our forte until we were about…13 or 14.

That is to say, we did play on the Nintendo GameBoy's around that time too.

If you ask me, SimCity is gone, Need For Speed is being recycled (and poorly at that), Gran Turismo is still rockin'…

With as many game stores (I mean online game stores) as there are, things are going to get even more convoluted.

Reaction score
For me it was plunking quarters in a game called Tempest. Actually that's just one of the many games I enjoyed playing. Also not many folks had a computer, and it was great to be part of a small group of geeks. I liked being the outcast of folks, that were computer geeks. For me that was the "good ol' days"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
People only say the good old days cause they are stuck in a time warp of the time when they were young. And they feel everything they used/did back then was the best. It wasn't and soon after things got better. They only feel the best to people cause there are very fond memories attached to these childhood or earlier life activities. And really it's the memories we love more than the products I think.

For me I remember video games in the late 80's and 90's. I was put in front of computers as a baby. My family said this is a computer now you learn. And I did. And I owned an old NES. It was new at the time and I loved the games I had for it. But now I can see that 95% of them were just tripe. Sure there was the odd exception like Super Mario 3, Zelda 1/2, Megaman 2/3 and a few others. I just loved the games cause they are new to me. Mind you I do remember the good few games a little better.

And in 2000 I was enjoying Zelda:Majora's mask. A game I really liked at the time. The game is still good today, the graphics are slowly getting dated but the music and the fun is still there.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
People only say the good old days cause they are stuck in a time warp of the time when they were young. And they feel everything they used/did back then was the best. It wasn't and soon after things got better.
Is it not possible for something that happened in the past to have been better? It almost sounds as if you're stating that the future is automatically a more enjoyable experience. ;)

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I keep wanting to think 10 years ago was the 90s. It's really weird, when you hear the year a kid was born that is after 2000.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's weird for me to hear about people born in the 90s going to university (they're too young!). I say this, very aware of the fact that I was only born in the 80s. ;)

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
People just need to stop having kids, easy as that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Good ol' days: Two hand touch in the street, with a foot of snow on the ground. Tackle football in the park with 3 feet of snow on the ground! Stickball down by my public school, when I still had a good pitching arm. Azzes up, at same public school, same wall. THOSE were fun games.

Video games? I guess I got into them as well, but much preferred to go to the arcade with my friends, plunking quarters in the machines that I begged to get from my mom or dad. I remember Tempest too.. was fairly good at it. I loved the one (can't remember the name) where you were the Knight, and had to save a princess or something.. kind of like dungeons and dragons, some kind of quest.. And you had to anticipate the next move and move the joystick as such, and if you got it right, you'd kill the dragon or jump over the bridge etc... You had only so many times to get it right before the game was over.

I had Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision (sp?), a few iterations of Nintendo (Super Nintendo being my favorite), Sega (genesis?) My favorite games by far were the ones you could play with other people, like Super Mario Kart.. that game ROCKS. And I'm talking about the original one, not the newer one. The original Mortal Combat, Street Fighter etc.. My friends and I would have weekend long competitions in one our houses... Yeah, good stuff.

I currently have an XBox (original) which sits in a suitcase collecting dust, because I just don't have the urge to play anything I guess. More into photography, which takes a lot of my time. Also more into playing my guitars... But there are times I kind of want to hook it up, though I know that I wouldnt' be satisfied with the current lineup of games that I have for it.

I much preferred the games that I played with the original Sony Playstation. I was really into Resident Evil (LOVE that series) and Silent Hill. That's the genre that I enjoy the most, but I found that the originals were better because they were more puzzle based, and less gore just for the heck of it. Though I do love gore too. I wish I could play those games again to be honest... Love being spooked and solving puzzles. Other than that, I do like the online multiplayer shooters, but the controls often baffle me, and I can never get a hang of them.

Reaction score
Personally, for me times have never been better. I play games, a lot of games and I recently started playing Fallout: New Vegas. It blew me away!

I played the old Fallout's on the PC (Tactics etc.) but they never really caught my imagination. I had a bit of spare time recently (with my only access to the internet being 3G so online gaming was out). It was a blessing, I had the chance to play through numerous campaigns that otherwise wouldn't have had a look in next to Black Ops and all the other usual suspects. Fallout is the best game I have played through (3 times) to date. I grew up with games like Golden Axe and Streets of Rage on the Mega Drive to Metal Gear and Tomb Raider on the PS 1 and 2, Halo and Fable on the Xbox and 360 and of course GTA on most of the above.

I include all these games when I say Fallout: New Vegas has been the best. The graphics are lacking a little and the bugs are a plenty but for me it gets away with it because of the depth of the game. I didn't mean to review Fallout, I think what I am trying to say is that although all the games I mentioned were great at the time we have moved on and I am not one to look back. I am too excited by what's next. Companies like Apple and Google are pushing the boundaries every other week.

I can't wait for next week!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
I'll agree I grew up in the 90s as a kid, and loved it. So many good tv shows as a kid... Saturday morning cartoons, nickelodeon cartoons back in the 90s were awesome, Nintendo was where it was for me...

Now next month I will be 24. Crazy stuff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Reaction score
Will be 20 next month…

Crazy indeed.

Ah man, Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon were the channels you could not get my eyes unglued from. Disney was a sort of afterthought.

If there were things in Walmart I played (off to the side on the entrances) it was those crane machines, where you direct a claw to grab something. I don't see those much anymore. I also don't see arcade games anymore either. Games have gone to the DS line, the big three consoles, PCs and the iOS and Android device line.

Ah, good ol' 90s.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.