CleanMyMac Application question?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
Sorry again guys for bringing this up. Dont know which thread to post my nosy questions so since I'm still new to MACs might as well post it here.

I downloaded CleanMyMac well to help clean up my MAC will all my unwanted files.

My question is. Is right to clean the Caches? And what are they used for? I beg for forgiveness for my ignorance and naiveness but i'm no computer nerd.

Hope someone will be good enough to help me out and pardon my ignorance.

Thanks!!!

C

chas_m

Mac is not an acronym. It doesn't stand for anything. It's just short for Macintosh, so there's no need to capitalise it.

If you're using a utility program and don't understand what it's about to do, I'd stop and find out first.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Sorry again guys for bringing this up. Dont know which thread to post my nosy questions so since I'm still new to MACs might as well post it here.

I downloaded CleanMyMac well to help clean up my MAC will all my unwanted files.

My question is. Is right to clean the Caches? And what are they used for? I beg for forgiveness for my ignorance and naiveness but i'm no computer nerd.

Hope someone will be good enough to help me out and pardon my ignorance.

Thanks!!!

cleaning out application caches usually frees up quite a bit of space on your drive, and usually doesn't cause any problems. its good to do it every now and again, it gets quite clogged up. thing is, caches make your apps load faster, and deleting them means they need to reload the cache. its great for stuff like web browsers: where you download stuff you dont need (i.e ads), but other apps it doesnt really do much. my safari cache usually gets up to about 1GB, so i usually clear it regularly inside the app.

CMM can also strip unwanted languages out of apps, usually freeing up loads of space.

be careful when stripping universal binaries. this is known to mess up a lot of apps, including CS5. I wouldn't do it to anything you need.

Reaction score
Be very careful with this sort of utility. I hear from at least a couple of folks every year who have either damaged their computer so that it won't run, or who have lost data that they really wanted to keep, as a result of using this kind of utility.

If your hard drive is filling up, a new external hard drive is very reasonably priced these days. It's smarter to add storage space than to go to any extremes deleting things on your old hard drive. Chances are that you will need the extra storage space fairly soon anyway.

My question is. Is right to clean the Caches? And what are they used for?
A cache is code that has been stored to make things run faster on your Mac. For instance, your Web browser caches parts of some Web sites that you visit often so that when you visit again, those Web sites will quickly pop up on your screen. When you visit that Web site, there is no need for our Mac to download the information again using the relatively slow speed of your Internet access; instead much of the site is available already and quickly accessed from your hard drive. See:
Cache - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The problem is that over time, some of your caches can become stale, overly large, irrelevant, or worst of all corrupted. So it isn't a bad idea to occasionally (maybe ever few months, or when your Mac or a certain program starts acting funny) clear your caches.

I beg for forgiveness for my ignorance and naiveness but i'm no computer nerd.
There is no need to apologize for not knowing what you don't know. We're here to answer your questions! At one time every single one of us knew nothing about computers, and asking questions is a big part of how we all learned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Mac is not an acronym. It doesn't stand for anything. It's just short for Macintosh, so there's no need to capitalise it.

If you're using a utility program and don't understand what it's about to do, I'd stop and find out first.

Ummmm, he did stop and ask!
So kind of you to help.
Sheesh :p

Thank you robduckyworth and Randy B. Singer for being a little more helpful to the OP. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
For cleaning my Mac I just use the Maintenance App.
And you can get it here.
Titanium's Software • Home

This app is a similar thing to Onyx on the same site. But it's much more streamlined and easier to understand. Just click the boxes you want to and it'll complete the tasks. And you're mac will feel like new again. Well almost :). I do this every month or two and it helps.

OP
johndope83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the replies and lessons guys!!! I really appreciate the help!!!

OP
johndope83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh by the way... wouldn't it be redundant if i download Onyx since i have CleanMyMac if both apps do the same thing (or do they?)? sorry again for all the questions.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
???

Do they do the same thing? I don't know. And I don't believe you'll find many folks that would be familiar with that app except other newbie switchers that went and bought it out of their windows habits before coming to ask what apps they should get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
oh by the way... wouldn't it be redundant if i download Onyx since i have CleanMyMac if both apps do the same thing (or do they?)? sorry again for all the questions.

CleanMyMac isn't free. Onyx is. Onyx is well known and held in high regard. CMM isn't held in such high regard (see prior replies in this thread). The only app of this class I would consider paying money for is Tinkertool System. It has some helpful explanations of its tools, and has a couple tricks up its sleeve that I've not seen elsewhere. And it's a more reasonable price.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think one of the most important points in this thread is something you might have missed - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

This isn't Windows. There is no need to do "preventative maintenance". There is no registry to corrupt, nor is there any major concern over fragmentation. If you're not having a problem, I would just leave it alone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
LOL ...and I get bad rep for my post :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

If my post was somehow unhelpful, off-topic or otherwise not in keeping with the tone of the forum, please clarify. Right now, I'm not seeing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If my post was somehow unhelpful, off-topic or otherwise not in keeping with the tone of the forum, please clarify. Right now, I'm not seeing it.

Sorry cwa107.... that sounded like I was referring to your post, but I wasn't! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Read this (Several parts long), then decide if you still want CleanMyMac on your system.
CleanMyMac - The Bad

OP
johndope83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CleanMyMac isn't free. Onyx is. Onyx is well known and held in high regard. CMM isn't held in such high regard (see prior replies in this thread). The only app of this class I would consider paying money for is Tinkertool System. It has some helpful explanations of its tools, and has a couple tricks up its sleeve that I've not seen elsewhere. And it's a more reasonable price.

Thanks for the plain advise. Not much of a computer nerd that's why i don't know much about computer terminologies and stuffs. I just want to have my system running good and maximize it. After all this is my first mac and i intend to have it for the long run. Anyway, decided not to use it anymore and uninstall it.

Read this (Several parts long), then decide if you still want CleanMyMac on your system.
CleanMyMac - The Bad

Thanks for the help mate! Great link. Guess better not use CMM anymore. Better uninstall it then huh? Hehehe!

???

Do they do the same thing? I don't know. And I don't believe you'll find many folks that would be familiar with that app except other newbie switchers that went and bought it out of their windows habits before coming to ask what apps they should get.

thanks will keep in my mind to ask before do... sorry for my ignorance.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
We all (or at least a lot of us) did the same things - e.g. brought our old Windows habits along for the ride - some of those habits die hard.

For a little while, use your Mac and be happy - hang out, read posts, join in, ask questions, no worry - we all get the help - there's boat loads of stuff I still don't know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I agree with the others, CleanMyMac is kind of a nightmare app. Onyx or Cocktail are much better choices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and it just keeps coming :D
To clear things up....
First bad rep message:
Try a little tact next time. I expect better from someone of your stature on the forums.
I have many times, but this has had no effect.

Second bad rep message:
This post was unnecessary, this is what the rep system is for.
Maybe so, but I felt that the OP asked for help, and wanted to make it clear to him that he was right to come here and ask for it!

If I get more neg rep for this, so be it.... I'm not here to collect green dots.
I'm here to help others, learn more, and have pleasant interaction with those who wish to do the same.
I do enjoy having comments in the rep system with the many thanks for my efforts, and that is thanks enough. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
My best piece of advice, whining about neg rep in someone else's thread is not only off topic, but it's not really necessary, and IMHO it's petty (and this goes for anyone who does it not just picking on you)

Everyone gets it, just live with it, it won't kill you...well unless that's the only type of rep you get. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.