Can you only get a anti-glare MBP through the Apple store?

Reaction score
I'm a die hard PC user. I want to replace my Dell and give Apple/OS X a shot. I'm looking at the 17" Macbook Pro. Amazon has a great price, and no tax makes things even better. However, it has the glossy screen. I really want anti-glare, but if I purchase it through the Apple store (store.apple.com) isn't it a "custom build" and not eligible for return? I want to be able to return the laptop if I'm not satisfied, without hundreds of dollars in restocking fees. Do they sell anti-glare MBPs in their brick and mortar Apple stores, which may have a better return policy? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

OP
A
Reaction score
From the Apple store return policy. Am I reading this correctly? I have 14 days to return an opened laptop for any reason without restocking fees?

Code:
Returns Policy

For eligible Mac, iPad, iPod, and third-party products, you have up to 14 calendar days from the time you receive your item(s) to initiate a return.

Items that cannot be returned include:

1. Opened memory
   2. Opened software*
   3. Electronic Software Downloads
   4. Personalized iPods
   5. Software Up-to-Date Program Products (software upgrades)
   6. Apple Gift Cards
   7. Apple Gift Packaging (origami style gift box with ribbon and greeting card)
   8. Apple Developer Connection Products (Membership and Technical Support)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
From the Apple store return policy. Am I reading this correctly? I have 14 days to return an opened laptop for any reason without restocking fees?

That's correct.

As far as availability in the Store of the non-glossy version, I'm going to guess that they stock them as I know it's a very popular option, and I can't see them turning customers away only to make them wait for it to arrive - but, you might want to give your local store a call and double-check.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Our local store here in Fort Worth stocks them but the supply is limited and they usually sell out quickly. So as cwa107 advised, call ahead.

OP
A
Reaction score
I wish Amazon carried the anti-glare version, it would save me over $400.

Apple store will charge $2499 + 50 + CA tax = $2779
Amazon's price for glossy = $2366 shipped

Difference of $413.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch MBP 2.5 ghz i7 16 GB Antiglare screen
I tried to get an antiglare 15 inch MBP last week at my local Apple store in Seattle recently and was told 'we don't carry those', even though they had one on display on the sales floor. But the salesman said I could 'reserve' one if I wanted too. I declined, as there's no real advantage to doing so as opposed to ordering directly from Apple other than getting the chance to drive down to the mall a second time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.