Problems with 13" MBP Staying On (and yes, I spilled on it)

Reaction score
A few days ago I spilled a little liquid on the upper left corner of my MBP keyboard. It was more along the hinge between the bottom and the screen -- some definitely got inside. Right away it turned off, so I left it off (I can't remove the battery, it's brand new) and then when I turned it on the next day, it started, but it doesn't stay on.

Everytime I open it after it's been closed (whether for 5 seconds or 5 hours), it turns off about after 10 seconds.

The light on the lower right front egge blinks. I've tried turning sleep mode off (the same thing happens if I wake it after going to sleep), but same thing.

Any idea what can be wrong? I know liquid voids the warranty so I wanted your advice before I take it in.

Thanks!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
you have probably shorted out a connection somewhere inside your macbook. hard to say exactly where, but its causing the power to be intermittent. it could be an expensive repair, i'm afraid :(

OP
G
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. Anything you suggest doing to test that/ways to try and repair it on my own?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
might as well not tamper with it anymore. do yourself and your macbook justice and just let a professional check it out even if it will void it's warranty. matters might get worse if you try DIY repair.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
if youve shorted the motherboard you have little chance of repairing it, and you would void the warranty by getting to it.

:/ i would take it to apple and see what they say.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of liquid did you spill on it? If it was water, keep the MBP off for a few more days and keep the lid open with the machine upside down or on its side. If you're lucky the spill may dry out and the problem may resolve itself.

If the spill was something like coffee or a soft drink (coke, etc) it will leave a corrosive residue which will get worse over time. If after the machine dries out for a few days and still gives you problems, take it into Apple and have them repair it. It may be expensive so be prepared.

OP
G
Reaction score
So it sounds like I should just take it in. Thanks, everyone, for the advice.

I saw this: "Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)" Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) and thought that might be a solution, but I should just bring it in.

It was beer, btw. Isn't it always!
But I swear, it wasn't me. I was working at SxSW and someone else spilled on my machine -- all on accident, of course. Sh*t happens, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video
its unfortunate but your machine might have been saved if you had left it off for a little longer.
Its recommended that you refrain from turning on your macbook for 72 hours minimum. And to dry it out with a blow dryer to ensure that all of the liquid has evaporated.

too bad dude. I hope that the repair bill isnt too harsh.
good luck with the replacement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.