iMac for visually impaired

Reaction score
Hi. I'm considering getting an iMac, but I'm wondering what the accessibility support is like for the visually impaired. The big 27" screen looks like it will help, but does the OS come with a magnifier and what is it like to use? Currently we use Windows with a 22" screen and ZoomText.

Thanks in advance.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
heres a screenshot of the universal access window:

attachment.php

Screen shot 2011-03-17 at 03.10.27.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
And you access the above via the system preferences. And it really helps the vision impaired people out there.

And I would check out the 21.5inch and 27 inch models instore first to see which one is best for you. And tell the Apple staff the computer will be used by vision impaired people and they'll help you pick out the size that is right for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Actually, you might want to look into a Mac mini or a Mac Pro and a separate monitor. Apple's monitors tend to have higher pixel density, which can be a pain even for some normally sighted users.

Don't fixate on the size of the screen itself; compare the resolution and the size of the elements on the screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.