Time Machine help

Reaction score
Hi, I'm probably the new kid on the block. I have been a Mac user for a number of years starting with the Quadra 650, now with an iMac G5. I recently downloaded the latest upgrade of Skype. I guess it's version 5. I forgot to look for any limitations. Unfortunately upon downloading I got this: You cannot open the application “Skype” because it is not supported on this architecture. My bad! This version will only work with the dual processor machines. I sent several emails to Skype with no reply whatsoever. So I went into Time Machine, found the previous version but can't seem to bring it into the now. I would greatly appreciate any help with this.

C

chas_m

First off, you should know that an iMac G5 is a pretty old machine. Apple made a change to Intel processors more than six years ago now, and software written for it is not compatible with your machine. This situation is going to happen more and more often when you try to upgrade or download software. The "subtle hint" is here is to start saving for a more recent Mac with an Intel processor (doesn't have to be new, but needs to be newer than what you have).

As for the Skype problem, it's not a big deal. Move the Skype application to the trash, empty the trash.

Download THIS version of Skype: http://download.skype.com/macosx/Skype_2.8.0.866.dmg

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks Chas, yes I am well aware that I need to get a newer iMac. Working on it. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.