macbook battery care

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video
I recently purchased a 15" MBP, and although I have owned many lithium ion devices before (including an older MBP) I am still unsure about how to maximize the lifespan of my battery.
A long time ago I heard it was best to deep-dish cycle the batteries by charging them fully and then completely draining the battery. And to do this for the first few charges. But how long must this process continue? Does it really have a noticeable impact on battery life?
thanks

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video
Thanks, but that didnt really address the question of deep-dish-cycling and I cant seem to find any threads that speak directly to it either.
oh well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks, but that didnt really address the question of deep-dish-cycling and I cant seem to find any threads that speak directly to it either.
oh well.

Have you ever heard the term GIGO..."Garbage In, Garbage Out"?

I personally have never heard of the term "Deep-Dish Cycling" relating to computer batteries...so I did a quick search of the internet as well...and couldn't find anything. Basically what I'm saying is...if you search with an incorrect/bad terminology...you will get no results!

Thus "Garbage In, Garbage Out"!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Actually, those links did answer your questions.
What you are referring to is old lead batteries, etc.
If you want to shorten your battery life go with deep cycling (draining your battery completely) every time.
You will then reach a high cycle count really quickly, and need to replace your batteries frequently.
...and as Nick pointed out, deep dish cycling won't find you any answers, unless you are looking to cycle in a deep dish :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...deep cycling (draining your battery completely)...

As a big car repair guy...that IS a term I'm familiar with when it come to automobile (lead-acid) batteries.:)

When it comes to "Deep Dish" sorts of things..."Deep Dish Pizza" comes to mind! Yum!:;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.