Keyboards & Keyboard Shortcuts

Reaction score
Hi, all!! New Mac-mini user with SL installed...

OK, here's the question in a nutshell: I'm using an MS Multimedia keyboard (PC) on this machine, and for the most part it's working perfectly fine. However, none of the keyboard shortcuts I'm used to (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-X, etc) work (probably a PC v. Mac thing). Do these exist on Mac?

Also, do I REALLY need a Mac keyboard (Option v. Control keys)?

Thanks!
SteveB

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually any USB keyboard will work OK. As for the shortcuts, it's a matter of getting used to what the equivalents are. For example: Control C and Control V on a typical Win keyboard are Cmd C and Cmd V on a Mac keyboard.

Here are the five most commonly used special keys on a Mac, and their Windows keyboard equivalents.

Mac key – Windows key

Control – Ctrl

Option – Alt

Command (the four leaf clover) – Windows

Delete – Backspace

Return – Enter

You can dig around and find a full list on the web. By the way, Apple sells an aluminum wired keyboard for $49.99. You can find them even less expensive slightly used on the OWC website. Here's one for $29.99.

OP
sierraphotog
Reaction score
chscag, thanks for replying!!

I did some playing around, and I can't get the same functionality on this keyboard by using the alternate keys you suggested. I was able to successfully remap the keys in Word, so I'm not totally lost, but functionality in other programs may take a bit more time to figure out. I'm a HEAVY keyboard select/cut/paster, and it's just too slow to use the mouse for all that. I maintain a number of client websites on Squarespace, for example, and being able to quickly cut/paste/select is critical, and at this point I just can't use the Mac for this stuff. For example, shift-ctrl-rt_arrow (to select the following word) changes all font attributes on the following line rather that just select a word. Gotta figure that one out, too...

I also tried swapping around the alternate (sp) key settings in SysPrefs/Keyboard, but that didn't appear to have any effect on anything (I didn't reboot, so maybe I have to reboot after changing those settings?)...

Thanks, again!
SteveB

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Understand. Time to get a genuine Apple keyboard. Take note of my previous reply. :Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.