2011 MBP 15" 2.3GHz Quad i7 8GB, 256 SSD - issues

Reaction score
Please Help:2011MBP 15" 2.3GHz/Quadi7/8GB/256 SSD - issues

Hi All,

First time Mac owner/poster to Mac Forums...
I just received a new MBP 2011 this week and, due to my Mac inexperience, am really looking for some advice on some 'issues' I may be having with the computer.

First, when speaking with Applecare over the phone to set up an HDMI connection to my tv, I unplugged the adapter from the thunderbolt port while the laptop was still on (thought that was what the Applecare rep said to do) - the MBP screen zapped out/pixelated/black, etc., for a few seconds, before the computer screen came back online. Ever since this incident, the resolution doesn't seem as bright/clear, despite having doublechecked all settings and also have done a CON+OPT+P+R PRAM/NVRAM reset upon start up, twice.

Also, the MBP loses wireless connectivity perhaps 15-20 times a day, no matter the location. AirPort goes out and then needs to be reopened and initiated. The same is true for any VPN networks that I am connected to.

Next, the screen turns blue for a second upon waking from sleep sometimes. What the heck is that about?

I know the next issue isn't hardware, per se, but wanted to ask if you thought it might be related - MS Office 2011... when using Word and saving documents from desktop to network folders, the computer freezes up, have to do a force quit. This happens frequently enough to be a problem.

I've called into AppleCare and customer service and they're willing to do an exchange (still have a few days left to do so) but I am not sure it warrants it. Due to my inexperience with Macs, I can't really tell if what I'm seeing as a problem is actually a problem, or if I'm overreacting and expecting an impossible computer for the $3500 I paid for it.

Would appreciate any tips, advice, and/or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video
If you believe something may have changed when you pulled out the hdmi cable (something like the display or network connectivity) then you should absolutely make the exchange if they're offering it.
No need to take any chances, especially if its somekind of hardware issue.
sounds like it could be a defective product even, so why not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
If they'll change the unit for free then go ahead. Just try to back up your mac to an external hard disk via time machine so that when you get the replacement you can just simply transfer or "migrate" all of your files to your new MAC.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree. From here it sounds like some of what you describe may be hardware related rather than software. Exchange the machine for a new one and see how that goes. Make sure you clear any data off the machine before exchanging it - especially personal data like banking, credit card info, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.