• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Popcorn 4

Reaction score
I'm thinking of purchasing Popcorn for converting homemade DVDs into files compatible to IMovie 9. I've got Toast Titanium 11 already and am beginning to learn Handbrake. Would it be redundant to add Popcorn? I don't mind spending the $50, but of course would rather not:D

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
theres no need for popcorn if you have toast.

it can do everything popcorn can.

just rip the footage and encode it with handbrake, then import it to iMovie.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks. Problem is, it is now MPEG-4. I've been told it needs to be in MPEG-4 Simple profile or DV format in order to be imported into IMovie. Any insight into setting Handbrake to get it this way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Double post, stupid forum lag!

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks to those who contributed. For my purposes, I followed the advice of the FAQ on Handbrake and used MPEG Streamclip (free). You have to buy an Apple QUICKTIME MPEG-2 PLAYBACK-MAC OS X-INT for $20, but it's worked really well thus far, converting it into a DV file. Good to go and supposedly not as "lossy" as the alternative.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.