Can't get 1920X1080 capacity on new monitor with Macbook. Help!

Reaction score
I just bought a new 24" Viewsonic monitor (VA2431wm) to hook to my 2008 Macbook. The monitor works great, but to have the image stretch from side to side I have to set it to a 1024X768 (stretched) setting versus the high powered 1920X1080 setting. The latter setting produces a "frame within the frame": there is a black frame around the image and it's too small to enjoy. I want to see images from top to bottom and side to side.

This has to do with my video card, right? It's a 2008 Macbook and I figure it's too weak, right? Anything I can do to improve this without installing a new video card? Any way to check my video card capacity?

Any idea how much it costs to upgrade a video card? Is this even possible with my old, cheap Macbook?

Also, I swear my eyes get tired faster after looking at this larger screen with larger font because the picture may not be as sharp as it needs to be at the lower setting. The font looks less solid somehow. A little blury.

Is that possible? I'm worried this may not be a good monitor for me, as I use it primarily for word processing and I worry it will weary my eyes.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

HR

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, there is no way to upgrade the video GPU in your 2008 MacBook. That would require purchasing a new model MacBook or MacBook Pro.

Second, you can not get the native resolution of the Viewsonic to display with your MacBook display and the Viewsonic on at the same time. It will always default to the resolution of the MacBook. What you need to do is operate the external display by itself. That means running your MacBook in "clamshell" mode.

See this Apple LINK to learn how. I have mine setup that way and it works real well. Note that in order to use that method, you will need an external keyboard and mouse.

OP
H
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks!

Wow!

What a powerful suggestion! Worked like a charm!

Thank you so much for your kindness in answering this plea. The improvement in the quality of the image (and my pleasure in the new monitor) has jumped enormously. No more eye strain. Incredible images.

I'm very appreciative of your help.

Thank you!

HR

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're certainly welcome. Enjoy your new monitor and visit us often.

Reaction score
First, there is no way to upgrade the video GPU in your 2008 MacBook. That would require purchasing a new model MacBook or MacBook Pro.

Second, you can not get the native resolution of the Viewsonic to display with your MacBook display and the Viewsonic on at the same time. It will always default to the resolution of the MacBook. What you need to do is operate the external display by itself. That means running your MacBook in "clamshell" mode

See this Apple LINK to learn how. I have mine setup that way and it works real well. Note that in order to use that method, you will need an external keyboard and mouse.

Hey just a quick question on this topic. I have my mbp connected to my tv without it in clamshell mode and have my tv on 1080i(the highest res my tv will do) and my mbp at 1920x1280. But in reading your post u say that my tv is actually showing 1920x1280? I used to put it in clamshell mode but didn't like how loud it gets because of the fans in clam shell. When I click on the monitor at the top right of my screen it has a checkmark on both res I said earlier

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That sounds right if your MBP can do 1920 x 1280 and the TV set at 1080i. The resolution on the TV would be 1920 x 1280 if you did not use the 1080i setting. As long as the TV looks OK without stretching the raster or black bands on the side, leave it alone.

Using your MBP in clamshell mode should not drive up the heat and fans. Mine runs normally in clamshell mode unless of course I'm playing a game or doing something that causes the CPU and GPU to work harder.

Reaction score
I use it to watch tv. It that dang flash that makes is to hot doing anything else its fine but go to dang hulu and my mbp gets hot. Thanks for your reply I am going to mess with clamshell again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.