Apple NOOB needs some help!

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been building, repairing and fixing PC's for years now and have a great deal of experience with them but recently someone generously gave me an Apple G5 (full specs unknown, I can perhaps post some photos if this will help us distinguish?). Macs are almost totally foreign to me!

I am lead to believe that it needs a HDD, Memory and graphics card, and Im unsure if theres any particular ones that I need. I have oodles of PC hardware lying about but wanted to check with you guys (people who know!) if these will work.

I was thinking:
-Standard 250Gb SATA HDD
-Standard PC Ram (PC133 i think) (2x512Mb)
-NVidia GEForce GFX card (AGP)

Will these be sufficient to get the machine up and running? I am also confused as to how I might obtain the OS for the device? Is there a specific CD/DVD I need to buy or perhaps download?

Finally, Am i good to go with Standard USB Keyboard and mouse?

Im eager for all your help, and appologise for my (probably) ridiculous questions, Im hoping that someone has the patience to answer me!

Fingers crossed I can get this nice machine up and running, Im eager to get away from power hungry windows!

PS: I used the search function, but everything seems to be aimed at the more experienced users :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
We do not allow discussion of "hackintoshes" on these forums.
If you'd like a Mac, purchase one from Apple or a certified Apple dealer. You can even get refurbished from Apple and they are good as new, so no compromising on quality.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hey,

Thanks for your reply, but i think you have miss interpreted my questions. I am asking about my genuine apple g5 which needs some attention, but im a total apple noob. Please re-read my questions and try to answer me less objectively!

Regards, tegan1110.

I would really appreciate some help and advice but please rest assured im NOT trying to do anything underhand, as i thought i had already made clear with my OP.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
when you open up the side, can you take a picture of the inside?

does it have "G5" written on the CPU cooling cover once or twice?

the graphics card goes into a PCI slot above that, and there are hard drive mounts in the top right corner (youll see the SATA connector hanging down.

if you take a picture we can accurately identify the model.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion, i have attached an image of the inside of my g5. I have checked the locations and agree that you are right about the locations for the required hardware but am still confused as to whether standard equipment will work ok or whether i need apple specific equipment?

So what does the picture reveal? Hehe!

1300296289686.jpg

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it needs to be specific to the computer your running.

its a dual core PPC G5. probably a 1.8GHz.

Power Mac G5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i think its an '04: this page indicates compatible Graphics Cards & RAM.

harryb should be along soon, he's more experienced with these machines.

P.S the picture looks like it already has a graphics card?

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, very helpful indeed, lets hope that harryb can confirm your suspicions!

For my machine, i'm looking under the heading "Power Mac G5 (June 2004)" on the wikipedia link, aren't I?

If i obtain the correct hardware (Think i only need to buy a GFX Card, sure I have the other stuff laying about), How easy is it to obtain and install the OS on the system? Is a license for Leopard gonna cost me more that the machine is worth?

Thanks again for putting up with my (likely to be) silly questions!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so you dont have the original discs? your gonna have to look on ebay for the discs, who knows how much they sell for :/

your looking at about 60 - 90 pounds on ebay. (the highest os you can use on that machine is 10.5, which is not sold anymore. this is due to the processor architecture not being supported in 10. 6 snow leopard.)

people are paying about 200 - 500 pounds for these machines, so it would be worth it i reckon.

P.S yep, i think its that column. i was thinking maybe a s/n look up would confirm the exact model, if you put it into google. i think they are on the bottom.

OP
T
Reaction score
im going to agree with you that its the "Power Mac G5 (June 2004)" one. Cant do a serial number look-up because either the SN is well hidden, or the sticker has been removed at some point :( One things for sure, its not easy to find.

Tomorrow I will check my "Bits&Pieces" box and grab some ram out and my spare 250Gb SATA HDD for the G5, i also have a feeling that I have a spare ATI Radeon 9600 XT from an old PC that went BANG, fingers crossed, then I'll just have to buy the Leo disc! Cant wait to get it working now! :) :)

Might be a cheapskate and ask for a Leo disc on "freecycle" before I go and spend my hard earned cash!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha thats as good plan. let us know how you get on!

OP
T
Reaction score
Freecycle has brought me a radeon 9600 pro 128mb graphics card,

Am I wasting my time putting it in my G5?

The word "Pro" worries me as opposed to the "XT" suffix...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.