Changing the default sys. prefs. in guest account?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (Uni/Late 09) 8GB RAM 120GB SSD Boot up 500 GB 7200RPM HDD
Greetings,
So for those of us that set up a guest account for other people to use on our mac, is it possible to change the default system preferences such as trackpad settings, desktop etc?

Reaction score
Nope.

From System Preferences>Accounts: "When a guest user logs out, all information and files in the guest account's home folder are deleted."

All the trackpad, desktop, etc. settings are contained in the Home folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Your best bet is to set up another user account (standard not admin) and name it Friends or something. That way it is a separate user account that you can still customize.

You can set browsers for that account to delete bookmarks and cache data on quit to preserve some privacy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Nope.

From System Preferences>Accounts: "When a guest user logs out, all information and files in the guest account's home folder are deleted."

I think the OP was trying to customise the 'template' that the guest account is based on each time it's created.

You can change some of those settings using the Workgroup Manager from the server admin tools
Server Admin Tools 10.6

OP
applebanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (Uni/Late 09) 8GB RAM 120GB SSD Boot up 500 GB 7200RPM HDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudeMac View Post
Nope.

I think the OP was trying to customize the 'template' that the guest account is based on each time it's created.

You can change some of those settings using the Workgroup Manager from the server admin tools
Server Admin Tools 10.6

I think creating an an actual account may be my best bet. mrplow, How does the server admin tools work? I don't want much, simply a couple of system prefs would do it. I followed the link and it was talking about a server and stuff that I wasn't so sure about. thanks for the help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.