MagicWand Review

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well I purchased and received:

- a real nice Apple bluetooth keyboard from e-Bay for $37 + free shipping ($69 at the Apple Store).
- a lightly used Magic Trackpad off Craig's List for $40 ($69 + tax at the Apple Store).
- and I purchased the "MagicWand" from my local Apple Store ($29.95 + tax) to connect them together.

The MagicWand comes in three pieces:

- the "tube-like" channel piece that slips over the round battery compartment of each device effectively joining the two devices together.
- an "I-beam" or "H-beam" piece of plastic that slips/slides between the interface of the two devices to make things really rigid
- a small flexible rubber piece that slips into the gap that remains between the two devices battery compartments.

DSCN1466-1.jpg

The plastic "tube-like" piece slips over the battery compartments of the two devices no problem. It's actually on there pretty tightly...and neither device is likely to slide side to side. Next you install the i-beam between them (photo below):

DSCN1467-1.jpg

...if the gap is too large it won't hold together. If the gap is too small, the "H-beam" won't slide in (not enough room)...so the gap has to be "just right"!;) The problem was (in my case)...when the gap was just right...the H-beam was VERY difficult to insert. The further I went the harder it got. When there was about 1-2" left to go (25mm-50mm)...I was hardy able to slide it in any further...and basically had to resort to "brute force"...sort of gently tapping it in with a small hammer (and I still wasn't able to get it completely inserted).

The 3rd & final piece was the small curved rubber piece that fits into the gap that remains between the round battery compartments of each device (see photo below):

DSCN1464-1.jpg

I could never get this piece to fit in/stay in place. The gap that you need for the "H-beam" to fit correctly is too large for this rubber piece to fit snuggly. If you tried to install it in the proper place...it would simply fall out when you move/use the joined keyboard & trackpad.

Conclusions:

- The assembly was much more difficult than I expected.
- The long plastic channel that slips over the battery compartments was very easy to install.
- The "H-beam" that slips between the two devices was very difficult to install (proper gap needed, lots of force to get it in all the way). I probably had to disassemble the whole unit 3-4 times before I got it right...and only on the last try was I ever successful to get the H-beam slipped on all the way. The force needed to get this H-beam in all the way easily could have resulted in damage to the keyboard or trackpad (if you slipped & it fell on the floor)...or the plastic H-beam could have snapped (it's just flexible plastic). And in the end, I actually still needed to slide it in another 5mm or so but couldn't.
- the small rubber piece that fits in the gap (battery compartment area left after the H-beam is installed)...did not stay in. This rubber piece really isn't necessary to install from a functional standpoint (it adds nothing to the rigidity of the assembly)...it's really just a cosmetic piece.

Overall I would say that the MagicWand (for the most part) is a very good product. The "H-beam" was difficult to insert, and it would have been nice if the rubber gap filling piece fit. The whole assembly is VERY rigid & stable (feels like a single integrated unit). It adds very little weight, and takes up very little extra space (as compared to similar products). Given how difficult the H-beam was to insert...the whole assembly was fairly easy to disassemble (just got to be careful not to break any of the plastic pieces).

My only real "beef" is the price. $29.95 is a pretty steep price (IMHO) for the product. It's all plastic (except for the little rubber piece). There are other products out there that do the same thing & cost as much as $129.95 (and add a lot of weight & volume to the unit). So I do feel that this MagicWand product probably is the best solution out there at the moment.

More than likely (99% chance)...I will be returning the MagicWand to the Apple Store. If it cost something like $14.95 or $9.95 I would keep it ($29.95 is just too much). I have some ideas of my own to join the Apple bluetooth keyboard & Magic Trackpad together that will only cost me $1.00 to $2.00...or maybe nothing at all.:)

Thanks for reading,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Thanks for the review Nick.
It certainly does seem a lot of money for something that, as you indicate, could probably be done for far less money, and far less hassle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
i think its important to point out while most products from 12 south are aluminum this wand is just a piece of plastic.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have some ideas of my own to join the Apple bluetooth keyboard & Magic Trackpad together that will only cost me $1.00 to $2.00...or maybe nothing at all.:)

Thanks for reading,:)

- Nick

Nick,
I will be very interested to see how your ideas turn out . . . so please update.
thanks,
Mike

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick,
I will be very interested to see how your ideas turn out . . . so please update.
thanks,
Mike

Believe it or not...some other vendors (other than the maker of the "MagicWand") are simply making products out of either machined aluminum plate or wood...with some of them costing over $100 bucks:

Combine Collective

Tree Designs presents the iDesk

Side-by-Side Magic Lapdesk for Magic Trackpad and Wireless Keyboard

Magic Lapdesk for Apple Magic Trackpad

BulletTrain - Express Keyboard Platform

So I may use some of these product designs as "inspiration" for what I will do...and/or I might make some sort of hybrid design (materials & orientation) similar to one of these products.

At the moment I'm thinking of using:

- a nice piece of high end 3/8" to 1/2" thick plywood (wouldn't scratch the aluminum keyboard & Magic Trackpad).
- maybe if I can find a nice piece of 1/8" aluminum plate to work with.
- or something like the plastic stuff you see kitchen cutting boards are make of.

If I go the plywood route...it will cost me nothing...since I have some in the basement (and I already have all the tools).:)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Any idea of the ID on the tubular part? I was wondering if a section of PVC pipe with some judicious sawing and sanding might work.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any idea of the ID on the tubular part? I was wondering if a section of PVC pipe with some judicious sawing and sanding might work.

The tubular part wouldn't be too bad...the harder part (I think) is this interface between the keyboard & Magic Trackpad (see photo #2 in post #1)...where the plastic "i-beam" part is being slid in to lock the two units together.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.