Next iMac hardware update?

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering if you guys have any predictions on WHEN or WHAT the next hardware upgrade for iMac is.

OP
A
Reaction score
Actually I saw that thread.

I was more interested in knowing WHAT the next exterior upgrade for the iMac would be.

When they upgraded the iMac to all aluminum, it was a big deal. And judging by the timeline, they did a big upgrade with a new exterior body about every 4 years. It's been about 4 years now since the Aluminum body, hasn't it? I was wondering if Apple will keep up that trend or not? I honestly don't see how Apple will improve the exterior from the current aluminum body though.

Reaction score
I think, look at the front of the iPhone for and imagine that as the front of an iMac. I think that's where it'll go next. All black, all glass.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011 / 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7 / 4GB RAM / AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB /
iMac

I don't think they will change the design, but they will probably upgrade to the new sandy bridge processor. Apple will refresh the iMac line this summer, maybe July or August.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
No one is able to tell you for certain when new models are coming out until Apple actually announces a date. However, there are some sites that try to guess based on previous hardware refreshes.

A great one is the Macrumors Buying Guide:
Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone

The best rule of thumb is if you need a new computer and the current models meet your needs go for it. If you're not in a rush and choose to wait for the next refresh, you can do that. Either choice is ultimately up to you.

There will always be the next new version, so waiting indefinitely is often not worth it.

Reaction score
Interesting to see on the Macrumors Buying Guide that the Mac Pros were last updated at the same time as iMacs, and while iMacs are past their average refresh period, for Mac Pros the average hasn't been reached yet.

Reckon Apple will update them both at the same time again, but I think it will be before July or August.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Mac Pro is top of the line and geared more toward the professional and as such is not refreshed as often as other Macs.

An iMac refresh may be forthcoming within the next couple of months, however, I don't expect we'll see the same for the Pro for awhile. Of course I could be wrong about that... :Smirk:

Reaction score
Ah, OK.

An iMac refresh may be forthcoming within the next couple of months

A couple of months feels like a loooong time!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm
imac won't get an external design change, apple just introduced that design late '09.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.