13" Macbook Pro - trouble with 2nd SSD

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum, and dumbfounded by a problem which I hope you guys might have some insight:

I have a 13" Macbook Pro (mid 2010) with 8G RAM, and running 10.6.6. I recently installed an OCZ 120G Vertex 2 SSD, and followed up with an identical SSD in the DVD bay with an MCE type adapter. All was fine for about a day - now it is not recognized my the system, first it was intermittent and now it may show up for a few minutes but fail soon after. If I take it out my first SSD boots up just fine, and also if I put my old Seagate Momentus in that DVD adapter, it works fine.

Now I could not find any research on anyone else having this problem. I'm currently an expat living in Shanghai, and I don't feel the Mac tech gurus here are up to snuff - anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Pete

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since all Mac products are built in China, I don't know why you have no faith in their ability to trouble shoot or repair your MBP?

Aside from that.... It could be the adapter. That particular adapter has been problematic as we have had several users complain about it. Other than the possibility of a bad SSD, I don't have any other suggestions.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
sounds like the drive is bad.

OP
P
Reaction score
sounds like the drive is bad.

That's what I thought too but I exchanged the drive, swapped it out to another machine, etc...and still the same thing. I'm gonna try sticking an Intel X-25 80GB SSD in there and see what happens - 320G Scorpio Black currently working fine in there.

Reaction score
Since all Mac products are built in China, I don't know why you have no faith in their ability to trouble shoot or repair your MBP?

Aside from that.... It could be the adapter. That particular adapter has been problematic as we have had several users complain about it. Other than the possibility of a bad SSD, I don't have any other suggestions.

I'm not sure how proximity relates to competency. I live right by a huge GMC Truck plant. I assure you that you DON'T want me working on your vehicle! ;D

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm not sure how proximity relates to competency. I live right by a huge GMC Truck plant. I assure you that you DON'T want me working on your vehicle! ;D

Nice one :)

I never made that statement to 'china bash' or anything. But having lived here for 6 years, it's really hard to find good professional service in any industry here.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

No one is suggesting anything of the sort. But when someone says that he can't find good service and lives in one of the largest cities in China and that's where the machines are manufactured, I find that hard to believe.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice one :)

I never made that statement to 'china bash' or anything. But having lived here for 6 years, it's really hard to find good professional service in any industry here.

I understand what you're saying. I spent many years in Asian countries myself but usually (with the help of an interpreter) was always able to fine good service either for my auto or electronic items. There is always iFixit: The free repair manual if you're able to do some repairs yourself.

But to get back to your original problem... have you done some web searching for information and trouble shooting that particular adapter you mentioned? I believe it's the adapter which is giving you trouble not the brand of SSD. You might want to take a look at the adapter that is sold by OWC which does work right and is fully guaranteed. LINK

Let us know.

OP
P
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying. I spent many years in Asian countries myself but usually (with the help of an interpreter) was always able to fine good service either for my auto or electronic items. There is always iFixit: The free repair manual if you're able to do some repairs yourself.

But to get back to your original problem... have you done some web searching for information and trouble shooting that particular adapter you mentioned? I believe it's the adapter which is giving you trouble not the brand of SSD. You might want to take a look at the adapter that is sold by OWC which does work right and is fully guaranteed. LINK

Let us know.

Hi, thanks again for your replies - here is an update:

I put an Intel X-25 G2 80 GB SSD in the optical bay adapter - runs with no problems at all.

I finally found one thread discussing issues from using dual OCZ Vertex Turbo 120GB SSD's (mine are Vertex 2) in one MBP 7,1 here:

Support Question Macbook Pro 2010 (7,1) w/ 2x Vertex Turbo in Raid 0 Configuration - Optibay SDD causing hanging

Perhaps this is something with the SATAII controller in the opti bay,considering that the Intel X-25 is running tip top? The OCZ Vertex 2 has the latest firmware (1.29) and the one I have in the main drive bay is running great. So somehow they are not being good neighbors with each other.

And finally for sake of nostalgia, I made one last attempt to install the 2nd OCZ in the optibay, and no go.

Thanks again for any replies, suggestions.

PS: FWIW, I went to 3 different Mac Repair centers in the center of Shanghai and no one was able to give me any conclusions - heck they even said they never have seen anyone put two SSD's in a MBP :D

OP
P
Reaction score
Update:

Just received and installed the MaxConnect Optical Bay - both Vertex SSD's are running flawlessly - no hang ups or anything. The cheap adapter was the culprit, thanks chscag for the suggestion.

Cheers all!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Enjoy those SSDs! And visit us often. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.