Setting up FTP

Reaction score
I have large files on my harddrive I'd like someone non-local to access. I set up my computer as an FTP and gave him the number. It looks like a very generic number, and seems a bit too simple to be mine and mine specifically (afp://***.***.1.***/). Am I skipping something, or will giving him this number suffice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Setting up FTP can be very easy. Usually easy means less secure.

FTP has requirements, one being ports 20 and 21. One for authentication and one for data transfer.

First you need to enable FTP sharing in the System Preferences Sharing section.

Your firewall (router) needs to forward ports 20 and 21 to your local Mac. You may want to visit the manufactures website for documentation on that procedure.

The third party trying to access you FTP would need to know your internet address, which is public IP that your ISP provides you. This can be discovered by going to IP Chicken - Whats my IP address? ip address lookup from your local Mac. The third party will also need to know a user name and password to access the FTP service. That is where security comes into play. By default Mac OS X has an FTP server which uses local accounts. Not ideal if you ask me. But it'll do for the sake of this tutorial however I recommend PureFTPd for the move avid user of FTP.
I would also recommend creating a second "standard" user on your Mac so that you do not need to give out your credentials.

THe third party will use an FTP app to connect to your public IP and authenticate with the user credentials you provide. If security is of no concern (which it should be) they will be able to connect to you FTP shares.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.