Grey Screen Before Windows 7 Boot

JAQ

Reaction score
Hello, all.

I just bought my first MBP but I need Windows so I created a new partition via BootCamp and installed Windows 7 Pro. My problem is that there is a 15 second delay before the Windows logo even appears and starts booting. After pressing the power button I get a blank grey screen.

If I set OS X as the default, I don't get the grey screen and am able to boot OS X in 16 seconds (I installed a 128GB SSD and 8GB RAM) but am getting poor boot times in Windows.

Is this a problem or is it just the way it is?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I imagine that this is normal even though I don't have windows installed on my Mac.
Windows has always taken ages to boot, as it has all the bloatware to load during the boot process.

OP
J

JAQ

Reaction score
I imagine that this is normal even though I don't have windows installed on my Mac.
Windows has always taken ages to boot, as it has all the bloatware to load during the boot process.
Well, once Windows actually starts to boot it is fine. The problem is that there is a delay between the time I press the power button and the time the Windows logo appears and starts booting. I have a 15 second grey screen that does not appear when booting OS X.

I can take a video if needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I understand this.... no video needed.
All the research I have done leads to this being normal.
If you go into the windows bootcamp control panel, click the startup disk, and click apply, the delay should be shorter.
Then you hold option on boot when you want to select OS X.

OP
J

JAQ

Reaction score
I understand this.... no video needed.
All the research I have done leads to this being normal.
If you go into the windows bootcamp control panel, click the startup disk, and click apply, the delay should be shorter.
Then you hold option on boot when you want to select OS X.
That is how I currently have it set up. I guess this delay is normal -- bummer. Thanks for the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.