Fingerprints!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
UGH! I have spent more time wiping fingerprints off my new iPad than I have playing with it. When screen protectors for the iPad2 come out, will that help resolve the fingerprint issue?

OP
Leiyah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
Initially, I was planning on buying the smart cover. However, I decided to hold out on buying one until I find a suitable case. Several of the cases I've seen previewed from 3rd party companies do not seem to be compatible with the smart cover.

Reaction score
I was just wondering because that's one of the things they boast is keeping the screen clean

Reaction score
The smart cover keeps the screen pretty clean. I haven't had to use a wipe or anything on the screen yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
I have to agree with the above... I've had my smart cover on my iPad 2 since day one and it definitely helps. I still have to wipe it down, but it's not half as bad as the iPad 1.

GNR

Reaction score
I have iPad 1for over a year. Being a touch device fingerprints are a feature not a bug.

The screen is designed so you do not notice fingerprints in most in door lighting WHEN the unit is on. I rarely wipe my screen and it is fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I have iPad 1for over a year. Being a touch device fingerprints are a feature not a bug.

The screen is designed so you do not notice fingerprints in most in door lighting WHEN the unit is on. I rarely wipe my screen and it is fine.

Took the words right out of my mouth! Par for the course. :Smirk:

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I think that usage of skin softeners and hand lotions might also play into the equation. I don't use them and rarely do fingerprints get to be an annoyance. When they do a quick wipe with a handkerchief and they are gone.

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the powersupport anti-glare products. I have them on all my apple gadgets (iphones, ipod, ipad and macbooks). They can be a little difficult to put on, but once they are on, they stay on for a long time. And I rarely have to wipe finger prints off. Looks like they are working on something for the iPad 2.

HD Anti-Glare Film - iPad 2 - Shop | Power Support USA

Reaction score
Um, yeah, it's a touchscreen. If your fingers are oily, you'll have fingerprints. A cover will only help keep away the fingerprints from carrying it, not using it. If it really bugs you, maybe you should try something like a Colcasac sleeve that basically does a little wipe for you every time you take it out an put it into the sleeve.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, AppleTV2 (x2), iPad1
This may sound funny, but I've found that ordinary toilet paper does a much better job of quickly and completely removing fingerprints from my iPad, iPhone, and mac screens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Put on a Power Support Anti-Glare screen protector when they come out and you'll never notice them again....I made the mistake of putting on a SGP crystal clear on my iPhone 4 and the fingerprints drive me crazy too

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I do occasionally wipe off the fingerprints on my iPad every week or so. But you never really notice the fingerprints, until the device is off. But when it's off, it shouldn't matter too much. :p

Anyways, if you really want to reduce the fingerprints, consider a stylus. Stylus is also great for gaming as well, sometimes.

Reaction score
The anti-glare screen protectors are great, however if you go with a regular screen protector you will get more fingerprints that using nothing. Apple uses some kind of coating that resists fingerprints and I'd say it works (when comparing to using a clear screen protector). I use a clear protector on my iPhone 4 and the finger prints are FAR worse than using nothing. I'd use a anti glare, but that takes away from then super crispness of the Retna display. With the iPad I'm gonna stick with the Smart Cover and no screen protector.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
This may sound funny, but I've found that ordinary toilet paper does a much better job of quickly and completely removing fingerprints from my iPad, iPhone, and mac screens.

Last time I used toilet paper on my iPad screen I had more issues on the screen than just oil from my fingers! ;)

Reaction score
As tough as these screens are, I've seen them scratched, even with careful use (maybe some dust or sand got under a finger?). So I'd be reluctant to go without a screen protector.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Now, we know who uses the iPad on the toilet!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Fingerprints go away in seconds

with Windex and a microfiber cloth. The Zagg clear protector is already out. I have had one on my original iPad since day one but it has no effect on fingerprints, that is not what it is for. The only way to avoid fingerprints is to either not touch the screen or use cotton gloves.

Windex is easier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.