Problem with upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard

Reaction score
I bought the Snow Leopard upgrade for $39 and when I tried to install it, my computer crashed, something I never experienced before. Took it to Apple Store, they backed up all my info on a back-up drive and and installed Snow Leopard for me. I was only charged with the cost of purchasing back-up drive. However, I'm starting to believe I was better off without Snow Leopard. IPhoto constantly locks up and my computer is much slower than before. I wish I had left well enough alone and just held out for another year or two until I could purchase a new MacBook. Anyone else have a negative experience with the Snow Leopard upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I bought the Snow Leopard upgrade for $39 and when I tried to install it, my computer crashed, something I never experienced before. Took it to Apple Store, they backed up all my info on a back-up drive and and installed Snow Leopard for me. I was only charged with the cost of purchasing back-up drive. However, I'm starting to believe I was better off without Snow Leopard. IPhoto constantly locks up and my computer is much slower than before. I wish I had left well enough alone and just held out for another year or two until I could purchase a new MacBook. Anyone else have a negative experience with the Snow Leopard upgrade?

NO!
All good on 2x 2006 Macbooks with 1GB RAM, 2007 Macbook with 2GB RAM, Macbook Pro with 8GB RAM :)

I think you have other issues at play such as a full or failing HD.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Moved to it's own thread.

OP
M
Reaction score
NO!
All good on 2x 2006 Macbooks with 1GB RAM, 2007 Macbook with 2GB RAM, Macbook Pro with 8GB RAM :)

I think you have other issues at play such as a full or failing HD.

I have lots of issues but getting back to my Mac--How would I tell the difference between a full or failing HD? Forgive me, I've been driving for awhile but finally trying to understand what's under the hood. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You can see how big your HD is and how much free space you have by right clicking on you HD icon and selecting get info.

As for knowing if the HD is failing is a bit of hit and miss, as the tests rarely show that it is failing, rather, they show when they have failed.

You want to keep a minimum of 15-20GB available, and I mean minimum.

To test your HD, there are a few steps I would take, but the main thing is that you keep constant backups for when, not if, it does fail.

Repair Disk:

1. Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
3. Click the First Aid tab.
4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
5. Select your Mac OS X volume.
6. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

AHT (Apple Hardware Test):

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.