Advice Required

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am brand new to the forums and need some help. I have been scouring the internet looking for information to make this decision myself but it turns out I need some help.

Last week I picked up a Macbook Pro 2011 13" base model. While the computer is amazing, and it definitely is I am uncertain about a few things. To my surprise the 13" runs some games beautifully. Maybe not at full detail but the fact that Starcraft even turned on was a plus in my book. I want to do some light gaming, maybe some Starcraft, WoW and maybe Guild Wars 2 when it comes out. I also want to bring it to school and have it do the basic things that laptops should do. Here is where I am at a standstill.

I paid around 1300 for the 13" and I am thinking of upgrading to the 15" base. It is basically as far as I can stretch my money. So the options are as follows:

1. Return the 13" and get the 15" base. Is this worth $675 more.

2. Upgrade the 13" with 8GB of memory and install my own hard drive making it maxed out.

3. Return it and get a windows laptop instead. (Not my favourite option)

Anyway I guess I am trying to decide if I can justify the $675 difference in computer for size, resolution and dedicated graphics card. I could not find benchmarks anywhere for the 6490 so I have no way to compare. The Quad core is also appealing. If you guys could lend me your insight that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
OP
C
Reaction score
You know I read that multiple times and I am still not sure. The problem is they don't really benchmark the 6490 so I have no idea if it is really worth it. What did you take away from the article.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
That's a really long article to read multiple times - it took me a long time to get through it just once yesterday! Did you read every page? Take a look at page 8 GPU Comparison and Benchmarks it has what you've inquired about. Take a look at the graphs on that page - and if you still have questions - post back.

OP
C
Reaction score
Haha yes, the reason I had to read it multiple times was because I didn't understand it completely the first time.

I just re-read the page about the gpu's and I do see that the 6490 is a big improvement over the Intel HD 3000. My question is, is it a $675 upgrade. Is the 256mb (low in my opinion) dedicated graphics card and the quad core processor really worth that much money. I know the article doesn't really talk about price as only to say that if I had the money the 15" high end is the choice laptop.

Do you think the upgrade is warranted?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's not something I think I can answer for you. If you're a gamer - then the answer is probably yes. I'm not a gamer - yet I went for the upgraded 6750 - but don't have a good justification for it other than I wanted it. That's what this boils down to. As you can see from the performance tests - the difference is significant - especially if you're looking at the 6750. But again - only you know what a dollar is worth to you and what your ultimate performance needs really are.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Only you can decide if you wish to spend an additional $675 or not. But keep in mind that you only have two weeks to return the 13" MBP in order to avoid restocking fees.

The HD3000 GPU by Intel is certainly not a "gamer's" GPU but it's also not a slowpoke either. If you're looking for a gaming machine, then I suggest you buy a PC instead.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I am still stuck but I am sure I will make the decision soon. Thanks for the help.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yea I did look into that. None of the 2011 models are out on the refurbished site yet which is what I would consider. I don't think I would take last years model.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Yea I did look into that. None of the 2011 models are out on the refurbished site yet which is what I would consider. I don't think I would take last years model.

Macs hold their value and seem to (at least in my experience) have longer usable lives than PCs. Consider this that anything you buy in a relatively few short months will be "last year's" model.
IMO a better way of looking at it is performance and features vs price. If lacking the Thunderbolt port isn't a deal breaker there are some real good values available right now.
Either way, hope you enjoy your new system. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
first of all you have to ask yourself why do you need to upgrade to the 15in model?

how do you primarily use your MAC? if it's for basic everyday stuff like surfing, watching movies, listening to music then the 13in model would do for you. if you're into gaming then the 15in upgrade would be reasonable. But then again, MAC doesnt have a comprehensive line up of games unlike windows. If you're a gamer then it's better to switch back to PC or install windows on your MAC via bootcamp. Just my two cents...

Reaction score
I purchased a new 2011 Macbook 13 about a week ago, the base model. Took it back and refunded it, then turned around and bought a refurb 2010 Macbook 15 i5 2.4 for $1269 on Apple's refurb website. $30 less by the way. In my opinion, I got way more value with the 15 than I did with the 13 or even the 2011 15" (which was way more than I could afford. Way!)

The 13 was a cool novelty at first, but the size of the screen quickly wore my eyes out. 1280x800 in a 13" form factor just doesn't do it for me. Granted the little 13 was pretty darn fast, fun to carry around, etc., but at the end of the day, my goal is not to be seen at Starbuck's with a Mac. I just want my Macbook to work and work hard for me. So whatever trade off I got by purchasing last years's Macbook 15" i5 is fine by me. I'd much rather be able to see what I'm doing, crisp legible text, more columns, those kinds of things. Eventually, I throw in 8 GB of RAM and a 7200 RPM HD and my refurb 15 will be just fine and dandy...probably last me three more years.

So if you're having any doubt about how to get the best value for your Macdollars, check out the refurb site. Just because a computer is last year's model, doesn't mean it's obsolete. Especially when we're talking Macs. Buy a refurb and save your money for gasoline. We're all going to need to do that anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If you want to have a good experience playing games, then upgrade to the 15" model. Intel's integrated GPU is junk. You will get much better performance with the AMD GPU on the 15 inchers, which only kicks in if the extra processing power is needed, iirc. Upgrading the RAM from 4GB to 8GB will not help significantly, and not nearly to the extent that the improved GPU will.

Reaction score
You know, sometimes I'm baffled when I read posts about playing games on your Mac. Seriously? Games? If you want to play games, get an Xbox, or a Wii, or a Playstation. In all my years of writing, I've never bought a computer to play games on. What a waste of an incredible pipeline into the mind of the world. I use my computer for research, writing, journaling, photo manipulation - the list goes on and on. I don't play games on my Mac. Never have. Never will. My ten cents worth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You know, sometimes I'm baffled when I read posts about playing games on your Mac. Seriously? Games? If you want to play games, get an Xbox, or a Wii, or a Playstation. In all my years of writing, I've never bought a computer to play games on. What a waste of an incredible pipeline into the mind of the world. I use my computer for research, writing, journaling, photo manipulation - the list goes on and on. I don't play games on my Mac. Never have. Never will. My ten cents worth.

Sometimes (well no... all the time) I'm baffled by people who feel the need to criticize the expectations others have of their equipment. Besides my Atari days, I've never owned a console for gaming because a computer offers better graphics than a console; more complex games; greater control options via a mouse/keyboard; and so on. I can't even imagine what a painful experience it would be to play Starcraft on a console.

If you like console games, fine. More power to you. There's nothing wrong with that. Believing that the experience is identical or comparable to computer gaming is grossly naive and criticizing others for their expectations is just arrogant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 15" MBP; 2 GHz Intel Core i7; 4GB 1333; 500GB-7200 HD; AMD Radeon HD 6490M with 256M

Different strokes, LambertJohn. If you don't want to use your Mac for playing games, don't use it for playing games. If other people do, well, that's their prerogative and they should certainly feel free to do so without enduring your scorn and derision, dontcha think? For what it's worth, I've never been a gamer; I have years of professional writing and design work to my credit; and these days I use my Mac for many things besides and beyond my work in geophysics. Should the notion to play games take me one day I'd probably use it for that, too. One of the many advantages of owning such a versatile tool is the ability to use it for whatever you darn well please... enjoy yourself your own way, LJ, and stop pissing on others' parades.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.