Old game problem

Reaction score
Hi there.

I'm relatively new to running a Mac. I used to have a Windows PC and used to play a game called Return To Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. On my Mac it played the first time after I installed it, but now, even after reinstalling, the screen just goes black when I try to play the game and I can't then do anything.

I own a MacBook Pro, Intel Core i5.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

OP
M
Reaction score
Just to add, I have downloaded a Mac version of the game. I'm not trying to run an Exe file.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have it on my machine and it runs real well. Which version did you download? Because only the shareware version which has been recompiled for the Mac will run. The full version will not. And it's not an *.exe file.

Below is info for the game:

Wolf4SDL by Moritz "Ripper" Kroll (Chaos-Software)
Original Wolfenstein 3D by id Software (id Software)

Wolf4SDL is an open-source port of id Software's classic first-person shooter Wolfenstein 3D to the cross-plattform multimedia library "Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL)" (Simple DirectMedia Layer). It is meant to keep the original feel while taking advantage of some improvements mentioned in the list below.

Reaction score
I have it on my machine and it runs real well. Which version did you download? Because only the shareware version which has been recompiled for the Mac will run. The full version will not. And it's not an *.exe file.

Below is info for the game:

Wolf4SDL by Moritz "Ripper" Kroll (Chaos-Software)
Original Wolfenstein 3D by id Software (id Software)

Wolf4SDL is an open-source port of id Software's classic first-person shooter Wolfenstein 3D to the cross-plattform multimedia library "Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL)" (Simple DirectMedia Layer). It is meant to keep the original feel while taking advantage of some improvements mentioned in the list below.

Woah... thanks for posting this

EDIT : could you provide me with instructions on how to run Wolf4SDL? I'm a bit clueless with this SDL software.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
could you provide me with instructions on how to run Wolf4SDL? I'm a bit clueless with this SDL software.

It's really very easy. Once you get it installed, it will run just like any other game with the exception that it will take over the full screen. If you have any memory of how it ran in DOS, it will look and run the same way. Don't expect the video to be of high quality, but for an ancient DOS game, it looks pretty good. And it's fun. Brings back many memories. :)

Reaction score
It's really very easy. Once you get it installed, it will run just like any other game with the exception that it will take over the full screen. If you have any memory of how it ran in DOS, it will look and run the same way. Don't expect the video to be of high quality, but for an ancient DOS game, it looks pretty good. And it's fun. Brings back many memories. :)

Indeed! Blasting nazis away at my grandparent's home as a little kid, back when afternoons seemed to last forever. :Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.