Need to transfer all images

Reaction score
I'm trying to use the find command to find and move all the images on an external drive onto my Mac Book Pro. Any help would be great. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
In the file menu, select import and navigate to the folder on your external. Far easier though is to open iPhoto and drag the folder over the top, it will import automatically.
Bear in mind both methods will copy the photo;s toyour internal drive and store them in your iPhoto library.
If you don't want that, please say, as the method is more complicated.

OP
D
Reaction score
I would rather just mv the photos into a folder. What is more complicated way? Thanks

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
If you use Spotlight in Finder you can have it display images (I believe by clicking images in sidebar). From there you can drag and drop or copy as you wish.

The iPhoto trick BTW really is the easiest way. Just drag the drive and drop it on iPhoto and let it do the work.

OP
D
Reaction score
The Spotlight option does not see the external drive. I'll try the iphoto option

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iPhoto option does not seem to be working??
Can you access the hard drive using finder to view folders and open files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
If you want to store your photo's on the external but view them in iPhoto, your going to have to create a proper iPhoto album on the external drive, but to do that you will still need to import them to iPhoto, and the drag and drop method is by far the easiest.
Can't understand why that won't work at the moment.
Will have to come back to you, or hand over to someone else to advise about storing them on the external.

OP
D
Reaction score
OK... Her e is the full story and maybe this will help everyone understand what I'm trying to accomplish. I have a windows drive that crashed and I’m trying to recover just the photos. If I drag and drop the drive into iPhoto, it imports every little icon. This would work for me if I could specify a minimum file size. I thought a good way to get this accomplished was via the terminal with a find command but if there is an easier way… I’ll do that. Thanks
Find /drive –size 1M –exec cp –v /new folder

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK... Her e is the full story and maybe this will help everyone understand what I'm trying to accomplish. I have a windows drive that crashed and I’m trying to recover just the photos. If I drag and drop the drive into iPhoto, it imports every little icon. This would work for me if I could specify a minimum file size. I thought a good way to get this accomplished was via the terminal with a find command but if there is an easier way… I’ll do that. Thanks
Find /drive –size 1M –exec cp –v /new folder
There are probably some on this Forum who can tell you a neat command line way to do it. I'm not one of them. I don't know of any non-cludgy ways to do this . . . but here is a cludgy way to take care of the issue.

I am assuming you didn't import all those files but you do have an existing iphoto library that you don't want to mess up. If this isn't the case it will change slightly this procedure.

1) Change the name of your existing iPhoto library to something easy to find and remember. (Do this with Finder while iPhoto isn't running)
2) Start iPhoto. It will discover you don't have an iPhoto Library and offer to create one. Let it.
3) Do the drag and drop thing and import from your windows drive.
4) Create a new Folder on your desktop
5) Drag or export all of the newly imported files into this new Folder
6) Exit iPhoto
7) Have Finder sort the files (images) in your new Folder by size then select and delete all of the trash files (Windows GIFs etc) leaving behind the pictures you care about
8) Delete the iPhoto Library in Finder that you used for the transfer from your windows drive
9) Rename your old iPhoto Library back to iPhoto Library and relaunch iPhoto
10) Drag and drop the Folder containing your sorted and screened photos onto iPhoto and let it import them
11) Trash the Folder, empty the Trash and you are done

Again, this is cludgy, but it does work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.