Windows 7 on Mac osX > ntfs?

Reaction score
Hi forum,

i am planning on buying a Macbook Pro 15inch, to use for mac osX and for windows7. I will be buying windows 7 and use it on the Macbook Pro via Bootcamp.
The only question i have left deals with the hard disk, in particular, the NTFS / FAT32 issue.

When i install my windows on the macbook, and i run the windows, will this hard disk be a genuine NTFS? When i connect a windows formatted external harddrive (ntfs) on the macbookpro in windows 7, will there be no problem in recognizing the external hd and no limitations in the transfers?
In short, when i am in windows 7 on my macbook, will all external harddrives configured for windows just see the macbook as a windows laptop?

And when in osX, will the hd act like a genuine osX harddisk?

Thank you very much for your help. :)
greetings from Belgium
Wouter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions in the future to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You'll have two partitions on your hard drive. The Mac partition will be HFS+ and the Windows Bootcamp partition could be NTFS or FAT32. The Mac can only natively write to FAT32, but there are applications you can get to allow writing to an NTFS disk.

OP
W
Reaction score
You'll have two partitions on your hard drive. The Mac partition will be HFS+ and the Windows Bootcamp partition could be NTFS or FAT32. The Mac can only natively write to FAT32, but there are applications you can get to allow writing to an NTFS disk.

So when i install windows via bootcamp i can choose ntfs.
And then later, when i hook up a ntfs ext. hd, windows will recognize and read the ext. hd.
Can i then also copy files from the ext hd to my windows and save files from windows to the ext hd?

thanks a lot for your words

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, Windows on your Mac will act exactly like it works on any other computer. If you can read/write to that external drive today in Windows, you'll be able to do it with Windows on your Mac.

OP
W
Reaction score
Ok, thank you very much.
I think my question is answered.

Sorry for posting my question in the wrong subforum.
cheers!
Wouter

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.