FaceTime Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
Just got my MBP for almost a week now. My question is there's FaceTime application already installed on it but when i go to the app store it says i dont have it installed like the ilife and iworks. I tried using it together with my wife but we could not have a connection despite having a good wifi connection and we're just beside each other (we're trying to figure it out)... should i download and purchase it?

Thanks for you help!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
I've been wondering that too. The version number looks different for facetime that came with my MBP vs the one offered in the app store. I have to wonder if the one pre-installed is a 'lite' version.

MikeM

C

chas_m

The pre-installed one is PROBABLY the beta version. You will need to buy the MAS version for a buck. The beta may continue working but will most definitely expire at some point.

OP
johndope83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The pre-installed one is PROBABLY the beta version. You will need to buy the MAS version for a buck. The beta may continue working but will most definitely expire at some point.

hmm... isn't it new MBP comes with FaceTime HD? I just got my 2011 MBP 2 weeks ago.

C

chas_m

The final version of FaceTime was released on Feb. 24th.

If your MBP was *MANUFACTURED* after that date, then yes you should have the final version. Your MBP *could* have been sitting on a shelf for WEEKS prior to you buying it, however, so it could very well have shipped with the beta.

You can call Apple to verify, but I have a hunch my first post is correct.

OP
johndope83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
will try to drop by apple store later. thanks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz dual-core i5, 320GB 5400-rpm, 4GB 1333MHz, Intel HD Graphics, OS X 10.6.6
I have the new MB Pro as well and it came with FaceTime, same as the OP. It says v 1.0, I believe its 1.0.1 now in the app store. Everything works except when connected on a facetime call they can not hear me. The mic does not work. There are endless threads about this problem. it's weird because my mic works fine for Skype and iChat video chat.

Anyone figure out how to fix this yet?

C

chas_m

The mic works for me on FaceTime chats. Make sure you have properly quit iChat and/or Skype is all I can suggest at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So according to the folks at apple care, the one that was preinstalled is the RTM version (1.0) and the one on the App store (1.0.1) is a separate version for older Macs that didn't get it pre-installed (Think how the Verizon iPhone uses a different build of IOS than the ATT one).

-MikeM

OP
johndope83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So according to the folks at apple care, the one that was preinstalled is the RTM version (1.0) and the one on the App store (1.0.1) is a separate version for older Macs that didn't get it pre-installed (Think how the Verizon iPhone uses a different build of IOS than the ATT one).

-MikeM

hmm... shouldn't be my FaceTime pre-installed with my new MBP be viable for a free update via Software Update or the AppStore so that i don't need to buy it anymore? It's the same thing when updates are available via my Itouch since i bought the first version all the next updates are free of charge.

OP
johndope83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

-MikeM

sorry... but does this mean that new MBP owners don't need to download the one in the appstore?

sorry for being nosy with all the questions guys. just want to be informed and clarified with this. thanks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry... but does this mean that new MBP owners don't need to download the one in the appstore?

sorry for being nosy with all the questions guys. just want to be informed and clarified with this. thanks!!!

That's what I took from the conversation.

The tech didn't really seem to know for sure and I got the impression they didn't really know and came up with a plausible answer that would solve itself in a month or two.

Since it is ver 1.0 that came with the Mac, I have to assume its a full release. If it ever gets updated via system update, then we'll know it's a supported version. If the one on the app store continues to get bug fixes and ours doesn't then I will assume that the app store one is the true version and at that point I'll make the switch.

So in the end, it's still a waiting game. However, if it works then it's really a moot issue since that is the ultimate goal anyways.

-MikeM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.