New 2011 13" i5 MPB not detecting 23" HD Cinema display (M8536))

Reaction score
Hi, I am hoping to get some help here, as I am a unsure how to proceed. I just upgraded from a G5 dual 2ghz which I used with a 23" Apple HD Cinema Display, the old clear plastic style one with the ADC adapter, to a 13" i5 2011 MacBook Pro.

I have the brick ADC to DVI converter which is pictured in the attachment, also pictured is the mini display adapter to DVI (3rd party). I will take a picture of the entire setup and attach.

Basically, it's not detecting the monitor.

I know the mini display to DVI adapter works because I ran it to my tv using an HDMI adapter and I was able to get a good picture, but @ 1080i everything was a little blury and hard to read, at 720p everything is clear but very large (on a 42" sony LCD)

So as you will see, the monitors light is on and it is getting power from the brick ADC to DVI adapter (which I also verified works just fine as I used it to power up a second ADC monitor on the G5 which had a ADC and DVI port on the stock video card.

I have spent HOURS searching for an answer as to what to do, if anyone else is having these issues. I work with Logic Pro 9 and using the TV @ 720p is just to big, I need the windows smaller and using a 13" screen on a laptop is even worse. I will be very grateful if someone can offer up a solution as will others, I am sure im not the only one in the situation I am in.

Here are the pictures of the hardware configuration. The ADC adapter is a Dr. Bott KG DVIator power supply

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok, after all that I figured it out on my own.. the mini display port to DVI connector I purchased on ebay was DVI-I

You need DVI-D 24-1 pin configuration to get ADC to work.

Now I can sleep.

OP
C
Reaction score
Actually, wrong again!

READ: Dr. Bott's DVIator does not work with mini display port, you need apples discontinued brand which at one time sold for 99.99 but is no longer made so is now sold on ebay for around 150 used. Im buying a new monitor, eff that. Ill use the one I have with my G5

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.