Did System Restore to a Jailbroken IPhone 3G...help!

Reaction score
Purchases a jail broken iPhone 3G from EBay and used it for a couple months. Reselling it to a coworker and, tried to get all my contacts and apps off of it by doing a system restore on iTunes. Now I am getting an error message that says "no sim card installed, inset a valid sim with no pin lock to activate phone" but when I put a tmobile sim card in in it still doesn't work. Any suggestion??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Purchases a jail broken iPhone 3G from EBay and used it for a couple months. Reselling it to a coworker and, tried to get all my contacts and apps off of it by doing a system restore on iTunes. Now I am getting an error message that says "no sim card installed, inset a valid sim with no pin lock to activate phone" but when I put a tmobile sim card in in it still doesn't work. Any suggestion??

Assuming you are in the US... the reason the T-Mobile SIM card doesn't work is because AT&T has an exclusive on those phones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
If it was jailbroken it probably was unlocked through the jailbreak - so any simcard could work. Once you restored it - the jailbreak was wiped. Unfortunately once you do a restore it puts the latest baseband firmware onto the phone. The unlock only works with certain versions of baseband. You can check your baseband version by going to settings -> general -> about -> at the bottom is modem firmware.

Directly after PwnageTool 4.1.3 is available, the official ultrasn0w repo ultrasn0w.com will be updated with ultrasn0w 1.2, which covers iPhone 4 baseband 01.59.00 and iPhone 3G/3GS basebands 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01, 05.13.04 and now 06.15.00.
If your baseband isn't one of those - then you now have a AT&T only phone (as stated before assuming you are in the US)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.