• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Microsoft abandons Zune media players in defeat by Apple's iPod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Microsoft abandons Zune media players in defeat by Apple's iPod
AppleInsider | Microsoft abandons Zune media players in defeat by Apple's iPod
Microsoft's direct effort to challenge Apple's iPod, introduced in 2006 under the Zune brand, is being abandoned after a failure to gain traction in the market.

I think MS have a bad habit if entering into battles too late. After the competition is already established. And trying to compete this year with last year's technology is a recipe for failure. It's best they pull out of these bad practices and try enter a battle they have a chance to win. So this news though bad in a way I think is good for MS. Now they can focus on what they are good at.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now they can focus on what they are good at.

And just what is it they're good at? :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Another wonderfully successful Steve Balmer initiative.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The sad thing is that the Zune wasn't that horrible of a product. It was just killed by Microsoft's complete lack of marketing ability.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I remember, when Zune first came out, I sorta envied the UI and menus of the Zune. But at the time, I was pretty much a iPod fanboy, so I would have never praised Zune at the time. ;)

Reaction score
I still have my original 30 GB Zune. It works great but i put it on the shelf after i got an apple touch. The big reason why i favored the touch over the zune was its wifi capability. It is a lot more convenient to download songs,podcasts etc without having to use a computer, especially when you share only one computer with family members. Bon Voyage Zune!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
The Zune was a very respectable rival to the iPod. But ever since 2000 I feel as if Microsoft has gone down hill-- Xbox is probably there best product. Wasn't too crazy about Windows 7, that's why i went Mac this time around.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The Zune had one feature that I would love to see with my iPod Touch - wireless sync. Although I think my iPod Touch is fantastic (the very fact that it's three years old and still runs perfectly is a huge plus), that's one feature I would have loved (having an iPod that can't be upgraded anymore precludes it from getting this feature if it were ever implemented in iOS).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
And just what is it they're good at? :p

Well, keeping businesses and OEM manufacturers tied to their operating system and office suite. ;D

But even that is slipping.

As for the consumer space, maybe Balmer has not got much to do with the Xbox, maybe they keep him as far away as possible from that team in case he jinks the project.

As for their other consumer initiatives, they have had mixed success at best and dire at worst.

Microsoft Bob - sorry, had to mention that one
Windows ME
Windows Mobile
Play4Sure
Zune
Vista
Kin
We'll wait and see about Windows phone 7, at least I hope it doesn't fail

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That's not entirely fair to MS. They've had some great successes in their corporate history. Office is huge and has become the standard (whether we like it or not). Windows 7 has done well and rightly so - it's a great version of Windows. The Xbox is a huge success (perhaps not fiscally but in terms of market share it is). IE9 is getting positive reviews as well.

It's a little much to be saying that they've had "mixed success at best" while neglecting to list some of the products that have done quite well. Every company has products that fail - let's not forget what condition Apple was in not too long ago. Perhaps it's worth noting the Pippin and the 1st gen AppleTV as examples. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I mean you don't get to 95% market share without doing something right. Just saying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps it's worth noting the Pippin and the 1st gen AppleTV as examples. ;)

Oooh, don't forget iPod Socks, the Cube, and Ping. And who can forget The Mighty Mouse.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oooh, don't forget iPod Socks, the Cube, and Ping. And who can forget The Mighty Mouse.
Oh yes, Ping. I had forgotten about that one despite it being new. I apparently don't have very good short term...short term....what's it called again? :p

Just remembered a new one: Apple QuickTake.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
The Zune had one feature that I would love to see with my iPod Touch - wireless sync. Although I think my iPod Touch is fantastic (the very fact that it's three years old and still runs perfectly is a huge plus), that's one feature I would have loved (having an iPod that can't be upgraded anymore precludes it from getting this feature if it were ever implemented in iOS).

That was another feature that I envied a lot. When you'd see the iPod v. Zune articles crop up, that's where you'd see the Zune really shine. This would be such a welcome feature of iOS devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 GHz i7
There's something called "innovation"
I think Microsoft should try it out

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you claiming that Microsoft doesn't innovate? That's quite the unsubstantiated claim to be making.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 GHz i7
Are you claiming that Microsoft doesn't innovate? That's quite the unsubstantiated claim to be making.

so Zune media player came out before iPod?

btw
Windows 1.0 started with part of GUI from Mac

Office was not originally from Microsoft either

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't have to be first to innovate. Definition worth noting: to introduce something new; make changes in anything established.

Everyone stole the idea of the GUI from Xerox.

Office has always been an MS product (I believe) - it was released for the Mac before Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.