• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Some Apple retail stores plan to open early Tuesday for iPad 2 sales

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
To be honest...I'm not really sure why certain or some Apple Stores are opening an hour early on Tuesday. What can folks get at 9am that they couldn't get at 10am.

Ever go to an Apple Store at 10am on a Tuesday morning...you could hear paint drying!;) 9am isn't any different. Maybe I missed something in the article.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Just read that this rumor is totally false.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
The Apple stores in Colorado got zero iPad 2's today. I wonder how long it will take for them to get more stock. I am very lucky to have retired parents that could wait in line for 8 hours!

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Anyways, if Best Buy stores get another shipment, there might be a chance, you can utilize the "reservation process" option online and pick it up at the store. Possibly even Target and Walmart, not sure though.

BBY - iPad 2 FAQ - Best Buy Community

Reaction score
Stopped by the local Apple store here in New Orleans. They did not open early and they said they have no indication when they will be receiving an additional shipment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Maybe this explains why a dozen people were lined up outside our Apple store at 7:45am this morning. One girl (probably 11 yrs old) was wrapped up in a blanket, so her and her mom must have gotten there pretty early.

0d6c8770.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was at my local Apple Store at 10:15am this morning (just passing by due to an appointment)...and asked them about the "early opening" rumors.

The folks I spoke with said that they are usually open early (on "normal" days) for folks taking the Apple "One on One" training...and for folks getting repairs done...but not for retail sales.

But now (a few days after the iPad 2 launch)...they will sell iPad 2's on a first come first serve basis to folks that are at the store at 9am. The person I spoke with said they're getting about 40 iPads/day (remember there are 24 different models. so maybe not many iPad 2's per model)...and they sold the approx. 40 they got today in around 15 minutes.

So basically they said...it's not really an official "open at 9am" policy...since they are usually open for training & repairs...the difference now is they will sell iPads to customers showing up early for the time being.

There was also a 2 foot by 2 foot sign as you walk in the doorway of the Apple Store saying to the effect..."We Have No iPads, but are getting more daily."

- Nick

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was at my local Apple Store at 10:15am this morning (just passing by due to an appointment)...and asked them about the "early opening" rumors.

The folks I spoke with said that they are usually open early (on "normal" days) for folks taking the Apple "One on One" training...and for folks getting repairs done...but not for retail sales.

But now (a few days after the iPad 2 launch)...they will sell iPad 2's on a first come first serve basis to folks that are at the store at 9am. The person I spoke with said they're getting about 40 iPads/day (remember there are 24 different models. so maybe not many iPad 2's per model)...and they sold the approx. 40 they got today in around 15 minutes.

So basically they said...it's not really an official "open at 9am" policy...since they are usually open for training & repairs...the difference now is they will sell iPads to customers showing up early for the time being.

There was also a 2 foot by 2 foot sign as you walk in the doorway of the Apple Store saying to the effect..."We Have No iPads, but are getting more daily."

- Nick

That definitely clears up a lot of the hype. Nice to know, thanks for informing us.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That definitely clears up a lot of the hype. Nice to know, thanks for informing us.

You're welcome...glad to help.:)

I was really surprised by how much floor space (the tabletops & countertops along the walls) were dedicated to the iPad 2. I swear that 25-30% of the store was iPad 2's on display to touch, feel, and "play with...probably around 25-30 iPad's. So I had no problem getting my hands on one to "mess" with!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was at the local Apple Store again this evening (Yes...twice in the same day);)...the 2' x 2' sign you see when you first enter the store (that I mentioned previously)...that said "We have no iPads." had some smaller print at the bottom which I noticed this evening:

"Limited quantities available daily at 9am, on a first come first served basis."

- Nick

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"We have no iPads." had some smaller print at the bottom which I noticed this evening:

"Limited quantities available daily at 9am, on a first come first served basis."

- Nick

Would suck to have bad vision, if I didn't have my glasses on, I'd never get an iPad 2!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I was at the local Apple Store again this evening (Yes...twice in the same day);)...the 2' x 2' sign you see when you first enter the store (that I mentioned previously)...that said "We have no iPads." had some smaller print at the bottom which I noticed this evening:

- Nick

Thanks for the info!! I'd give you some positive rep, but apparently you were the last person had had given rep to and it won't let me again, so +1 virtual rep to you, good sir!

Based on that, it kind of sounds like they are rationing them out on a day-to-day basis rather than just selling off whatever they get as I doubt Apple shipping from China to stores 40 at a time on a daily basis. While this is a bit frustrating, it's also good as it gives an average guy with a busy life better chance of making time to get one.

I though it would be pointless to show up to a store at any time, but if that's how they're handling it, Maybe I'll get up bright and early Saturday to take a shot at my local store. Though, Saturday may be a tough day to try.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I though it would be pointless to show up to a store at any time, but if that's how they're handling it, Maybe I'll get up bright and early Saturday to take a shot at my local store. Though, Saturday may be a tough day to try.

Thanks & you're welcome.:)

Yeah...Saturday might be a tough day to show up at 9am at an Apple Store. Probably a lot of other folks who have to be at work early during the work week are thinking the same thing (unless Apple is planning of having more product to match the larger Saturday/weekend crowds).

Good luck getting one...you just may get lucky!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Talked to someone at my local store. Try confirmed that they get limited quantities daily and sell at 9am, but also said people are still queuing up as early as 4am every morning! I'm guessing they are resellers. I may swing by before work around 7:30 to see what it looks like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo, G4 Power Book, iMac Graphite
Waited in line last Friday to try my luck at an iP2. Wasn't far back but discovered that Apple permitted two per customer. Some in the front of the line were buying for others back in the line, while still others were buying two for resale on EBay. As someone who has been into Apple since the first bite was offered, I find this policy deplorable. It makes no sense from a business point of view and even less sense with respect to treating its customer base with respect. Managing an opening event like this is inherently difficult, and no one can expect to be assured of a purchase. But Apple is certainly capable of managing its inventory far better than it has. One per customer would be a good start. For those who are really determined, they could always come back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Waited in line last Friday to try my luck at an iP2. Wasn't far back but discovered that Apple permitted two per customer. Some in the front of the line were buying for others back in the line, while still others were buying two for resale on EBay. As someone who has been into Apple since the first bite was offered, I find this policy deplorable. It makes no sense from a business point of view and even less sense with respect to treating its customer base with respect. Managing an opening event like this is inherently difficult, and no one can expect to be assured of a purchase. But Apple is certainly capable of managing its inventory far better than it has. One per customer would be a good start. For those who are really determined, they could always come back.

You know what, I feel your pain. I really do. :\ Some of us really despise this behavior. But this exact thing was discussed last year. I forget if it was the iPhone 4 or the iPad. But either way we went into discussion about people buying up products just to re-sell them for profit.

It's lame.
It happens.
We can't stop it.
Oh, look! Something shiny...

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

There are lots of iPad-less people who are unhappy about how Apple has dealt with the launch. I know my biggest gripe against Apple is not doing pre-orders.

I found this article to be very interesting though.
iPad 2 launch: not Apple's finest hour

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo, G4 Power Book, iMac Graphite
I can handle not getting an iPad 2 after waiting in line several hours — and have since ordered one. After all, I don't feel entitled. But for a company I've admired for its product innovation, I somehow imagine that it could be as clever (and fair) with its product launches. Actually, I was guessing that someone here would point out how the prevailing launch system, especially allowing products to be bought for resale, was a wise corporate strategy. If it is, I just don't see it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.