US iPad in the Uk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 6GB 800MHz Ram, 1Tb, OSX 10.5.8
Hi all

I am planning to buy an iPad when iPad 2 comes out and to save even more money I wax going to purchase from America. All I want it for is to sit on my desk at work with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and use evernote with my other hardware.

Are there any snags/issue running a US iPad I the UK that people can share with me!?

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
There should be no problems at all with it actually running, they are the same beast, but be aware that you may need a different power adaptor for the UK, and that you may have to transfer the warranty to the UK (if Apple allow this!).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
One thing you're going to need is an electrical adapter for the electricity ("the mains").

Another thing is if customs discovers that you bought the iPad 2 in the US...you're going to have to pay customs fees, VAT, etc.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
Hi all

I am planning to buy an iPad when iPad 2 comes out and to save even more money I wax going to purchase from America. All I want it for is to sit on my desk at work with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and use evernote with my other hardware.

Are there any snags/issue running a US iPad I the UK that people can share with me!?

Cheers!

You will need to get someone in the US to buy it for you as I don't think you can buy via the US site and have it shipped to a UK address.

Sorry if you knew this already but I have thought of doing it myself.

Like Kev says it will work fine but you may need a UK power adapter but having said this I bought my Ipod touch when I was in NYC and didn't have any issues using it over here.

If you get it shipped over you need to have it marked as less than £30 in Value as anything over will get hit by VAT/Import fees.

There is no guarantee that customs wont open it and charge fees on it though as they can legally open any package.

If you go to the US to buy it just open it up and put it in your hand luggage and then there is no proof you didn't buy it in the UK.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
The power adapter is no issue - the iPad transformer can handle UK power just fine - obviously you'll need a plug adapter though.

Otherwise - no issues. I've used my iPad over there many times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
The US model should work just fine in the UK as long as you are looking for a WIFI only model. As others have mentioned you may have some issues with the power adapter, but that should only be a minor issue at worst.

The mains adapter that comes in the box will work on 110 or 220 without issue, however you will need to change the plug out to a UK model. You should be able to pick up the UK plug at your local Apple store or acquire one online.

If you are planning on bringing the device back to the UK yourself, you should check with your local customs authority to find out if you will have to declare your new purchase or not.

That's all I've got. Best of luck with your new iPad!

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 6GB 800MHz Ram, 1Tb, OSX 10.5.8
Great

I'll be purchasing a iPad (1) from US eBay so I'll get the seller to send as gift etc. That's great! Didn't know whether the transformer would hold up. Wasn't expecting there to be any problems.

Thanks all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll be purchasing a iPad (1) from US eBay so I'll get the seller to send as gift etc. That's great! Didn't know whether the transformer would hold up. Wasn't expecting there to be any problems.

Thanks all

I would be wary of doing this as if you get it sent as a gift and pay via pp you will only be covered for the amount it's declared for.

This is the case if you get a friend or family to send it but at least then you know the person buying it for you is legit.

Its not worth marking it down if sent from a stranger as if there are any issues and it's marked for £30 then £30 is all you can claim.

How much cheaper is it in the us btw?

You may not know as not a lot of people do but curries do tax free sales in airports after you have checked in.

You need to have a flight to buy in the tax free store but there is nothing to stop you getting a cheap flight for £10 going through and buying in the store and then coming straight back out.

I seem to remember they are about 10 - 15% cheaper than retail on Apple products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
If you go to the US to buy it just open it up and put it in your hand luggage and then there is no proof you didn't buy it in the UK.

Except for the fact that you cannot currently buy them in the UK.

Make sure you go to settings and change keyboard to English UK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Except for the fact that you cannot currently buy them in the UK.

Make sure you go to settings and change keyboard to English UK.

Yep true but if its sealed and packed up then its obvious you have bought it in the US.

It would be very hard to prove someone in the US didn't buy it for you and send it to you if you were stopped by customs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.