In a very merry pickle :)

Reaction score
So... I'm a recent convert to macs and already have made a mess of my cpu :Grimmace:

First I downloaded divx, but decided to get rid of it. Deleted a whole lot of random files marked 'divx'... and now quicktime doesn't work. So I thought I'd download apptrap... didn't realise it only worked before you dragged files to the trash... now I'm not sure whether I got apptrap off my system completely. :|

Did I also mention that I downloaded Windows Office for Mac- didn't have key. So I downloaded another copy, wasn't sure whether Macs overwrote the previous download so I deleted a file that was installed the first time. Now the new version doesn't work. Also, downloaded an app that searches for duplicate files, but as before- don't know whether that app is totally gone.

So:

1) How can I know whether programs are completely uninstalled? eg: Divx, apptrap, "Duplicate file search"...

2) How to fix possibly missing components of Windows Office and Quicktime?

:p Complicated enough for you? Any help would be great! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
I'd reinstall the operating system to start fresh.

Secondly, I'd buy office for mac instead of downloading it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
'Windows Office for Mac' - Surely some mistake as such a beast doesn't exist!!

OP
C
Reaction score

I can assure you that Microsoft makes Office, Powerpoint etc for Macs :)

I'd reinstall the operating system to start fresh.

Secondly, I'd buy office for mac instead of downloading it...

So, restore factory settings? :O

And yes, the copy of office is paid for over the internet through a discount offer for the company my dad works for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
I can assure you that Microsoft makes Office, Powerpoint etc for Macs :)

So, restore factory settings? :O

Well as you've only just changed to mac, and you've done something that'll be quite hard to rectify, a fresh install is probably best IMO.

Do you have a time machine backup of your system?

And yes, the copy of office is paid for over the internet through a discount offer for the company my dad works for.

Ah ok. Well I'm not sure how to help with that one now as I own iWork.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Then you need to contact that company and ask them for the product key. They should have emailed it to you if you purchased it online.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

:D
To the OP, it's Microsoft Office for Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Also to the OP .... a suggestion ....

Before you start another adventure like that, be sure to read up and do a bit of research on the basics of the OS you are using.
It will be time well spent.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Also to the OP .... a suggestion ....

Before you start another adventure like that, be sure to read up and do a bit of research on the basics of the OS you are using.
It will be time well spent.

Cheers ... McBie

Totally agree with Marc's suggestion hear. Like even for me the other day couldnt dl anything via iTunes bc as i found out later, i trashed 1 Just 1 folder and set my system into confusion. I trashed a Shared folder from Users and the OS didnt know what to do there. So if your Not sure ASk before hand.

IMO i would install Apptrap again as it sits in preferences and is unobtrusive. With AppTrap installed Dragging a App to the trash AppTrap will do the rest, BUT if the App has a uninstaller i suggest to use that . . . .

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As advised Office 20011 product key will have been emailed to Dad's work place so you might ask nicely if he can track it down for you, subject to the company approving you obtaining the software this way.

Then pop your operating system discs into the computer, boot and hold down "C' after the chimes, erase the hard drive and do a clean install. This will wipe everything but at least you will have an up and running system.

You do have the install discs of course?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Whenever you order anything from over the net, it's best to make a copy or download it to some sort of external drive, partition or cd (including the email with the product file). That way if you need to reinstall the OS or problems occur then you will be OK.. Being a switcher myself, I found Macs to be different in thier handling and it's much better until you understand it to have Time machine, Carbon Copy Cloner or something of the like..

You also may have to look for your preference files that are associated with the products. Also be careful with the App deletion programs as some delete files that may just have the word mentioned in a file (It's the same in MS world)..

A good free powerful program for searching for and in files is Easyfind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback! From everything I've read on the thread..I think I'll just go the factory settings way to fix the lingering files I'm trying to get rid of (And make sure I watch what I download next time).

As for Microsoft Office... I'm hoping I'll be able to reinstall, as I have the product key even though the program isn't on disk.

I am such a Mac-virgin :) I'm pretty familiar with Windows OS, the only thing that I've found annoying with the Mac so far is that there isn't an automatic uninstall program ...

Whenever you order anything from over the net, it's best to make a copy or download it to some sort of external drive, partition or cd (including the email with the product file).

Yeah I didn't make a copy... but I DO have the product key. So hopefully I can re-install the program :)

Then pop your operating system discs into the computer, boot and hold down "C' after the chimes, erase the hard drive and do a clean install. This will wipe everything but at least you will have an up and running system.

You do have the install discs of course?

Yes I do... and I haven't really done too much with the cpu yet anyway.. Only downloaded some pretty cool apps for Dashboard like aquarium :)

OP
C
Reaction score
by the way, since i already have this thread up- is it completely ridiculous that my Macbook heats up to 74 deg cel when i websurf? I mean, I'm only on things like trademe and facebook .... !

C

chas_m

by the way, since i already have this thread up- is it completely ridiculous that my Macbook heats up to 74 deg cel when i websurf? I mean, I'm only on things like trademe and facebook .... !

Depends on how much Flash-based stuff you're looking at. Flash has marginally improved of late in terms of CPU piggishness but is still a terrible security risk:

Adobe Flash suffers from 'critical' new zero-day hack | Electronista

There are several extensions for Safari 5 that can block or bar Flash on either a total or case-by-case basis. You might want to look into them (not to mention they help improve the overall websurfing experience!).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.