Website Software

Reaction score
I'm new to bulilding websites and currently use iweb to build a small site I have, looking at using Rapidweaver or Freeway...can't get my head round Dreamweaver yet, want to use WYSIWYG.

Can I simply import my Iweb into a Rapidweaver or Freeway or do I have to start again?

Reaction score
There are a number of WYSIWYG Web site building applications for the Macintosh. I can send you a list, if you like. Everyone has their favorite.

They generally break down into those that are template-based (like iWeb) or those that are free-form, such as Freeway Express (for which you can never-the-less use templates.)

If you want a template based program, I recommend RapidWeaver. It is better that iWeb in several ways. The problem with RapidWeaver and Freeway Express is that both use their own proprietary formats and export your Web page as HTML when you are done, but they can't re-import that HTML. So, if you have been using another application, like iWeb, you can't import your old page.

I highly recommend KompoZer, which is especially nice because it is FREE, and there are many free tutorials to learn how to use it.

KOMPOZER (free and open source)
http://kompozer.net/
Kompozer is a very impressive application. It is more like DreamWeaver than iWeb, but it is very easy to use. In fact, it is almost as powerful as a professional-level Web site creation tool. There are several free tutorials to learn how to use the program, and it isn't hard to learn to use. You can easily migrate your existing Web site(s) to Kompozer because it doesn't use a proprietary format, it will happily open your HTML-based Web site.

FREE KompoZer tutorials:

- KompoZer User Guide
KompoZer User Guide - Home

- How to Design and Publish Your Website with KompoZer
How to Design and Publish Your Website with KompoZer (thesitewizard.com)

- KompoZer Tutorial 2: How to Add Images, Change Fonts and Colours
Tutorial on designing and publishing your web pages with KompoZer, a free standalone WYSIWYG web editor.
KompoZer Tutorial 2: How to Add Images, Change Fonts and Colours and Create Links (thesitewizard.com)

- Other free KompoZer tutorials
thesitewizard.com: Website design, promotion, CGI, PHP, JavaScript scripting, and revenue earning.
Scroll down to KompoZer Tutorials

- KompoZer Video Tutorials
YouTube - kompozer tutorial

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for that.

I will look at both Rapid Weaver which I have already and will also take a look at KompoZer. Should keep me busy for a while once I can escape the chores my better half has given me :)

Reaction score
Take your time.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of both programs once you have played with them a bit.

If you prefer RapidWeaver, you might like this:

Rapidweaver Classroom
RapidWeaver Classroom | Learn RapidWeaver with Screencast Lessons and Video Tutorials
There are several nice free tutorials, and for $20/month you can subscribe and get even more.

KompoZer, when you open it, looks quite a bit like a word processor. It works quite a bit the same way too.

Enjoy.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi Randy,
set the site up with Rapid Weaver. Looks good if I say so myself. Not much in the way of quick help but soon sussed most things.

Need to find an inline audio player though, any recommendations?

Will have a look at KompoZer when I get chance.

Reaction score
Hi Randy,
set the site up with Rapid Weaver. Looks good if I say so myself. Not much in the way of quick help but soon sussed most things.

So, where's the link so that I can have a look at your handiwork?

Need to find an inline audio player though, any recommendations?

Here is how to do this in RapidWeaver:

RapidWeaver FAQ - Music and audio

Or, it is easy to do working with the raw HTML code:

Have a look at:

HTML music codes, embed music on website

How to Add Background Music to Your Web Page (thesitewizard.com)

http://www.2createawebsite.com/enhance/adding-music.html

Will have a look at KompoZer when I get chance.

Great! Let me know what you think of it.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thankls for the help Randy, will try and get my head round the player when I get an hour spare.

You can see my handiwork at Home

Few bits to tidy up. links to add and other info in the side bar but not bad if I say so myself after a few hours work.

Chalky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.66ghz i7, 8gbram, 1tb hdd
You can use dreamweaver as a WYSIWYG with the code/design side by side view. In fact, that is the best way to do websites IMO.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.