Audio Recorder For Mac?

JRV

Reaction score
I know of a few different free programs that let you record everything that comes over your PC. Are there any for Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
wont garageband let you do it surely!

then you can edit it and save it as you wish

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
JRV said:
I know of a few different free programs that let you record everything that comes over your PC. Are there any for Mac?

Audacity will do this very thing for you. It will also let you edit pretty much any sound file except for midis. Absolutly free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
walkerj said:
Audacity will do this very thing for you. It will also let you edit pretty much any sound file except for midis. Absolutly free.

Wiretap is another good one. Macupdate.com has it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
mangoSharingan said:
Yep, I second WireTap. I use it to record audio from my videos.

True, but wiretap costs money. Much like many other MacOS X cool utilities. Very slick, very hip, looks pretty, but you gotta pay.

With Audacity you don't. Now I'm not saying that these utilities aren't worth the 'small' cost, but free is always a happy thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
WireTap Pro is decent, but yes, you have to pay. It is well worth it, IMO.

Audacity is okay from what I hear. I can not seem to get it to run though. When trying to edit songs, it runs through a song in less than a second and I cant seem to get any of the functions to work for me without issues. Even after re-down loading and re-installing. So no luck for me with that little program (which I hear is good).

Down load Audacity and give it a shot though. You may have better luck. Do not try the free/trial version of Wire Tap Pro. When you record then play your recording you hear a voice saying the track was recorded with a trial version of WTP. Just a heads up.

M

mangoSharingan

Really? I have the original WireTap and I never had to pay for that before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
yea audio hijack is even better than wiretrap pro

thats what im using now

Reaction score
As far as I know, with Wiretrap you only have to pay if you want to unlock certain features. The main utility that allows you to record audio is free.... unless that's now changed... my copy works fine - and I'd highly recommend it in any case.

Reaction score
walkerj said:

Hi
I just downloaded Audacity but I do not have a clue on what to do next. I want to record a few seconds of music from itunes and put it on my cell phone for a ring tone through bluetooth. Please help.
Thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
My guess is that you want to export the song in some format that Audacity reads. Then import the song into Audacity. There you should be able to cut it to the length, that you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
_humfy said:
As far as I know, with Wiretrap you only have to pay if you want to unlock certain features. The main utility that allows you to record audio is free.... unless that's now changed... my copy works fine - and I'd highly recommend it in any case.
Yea, see with the free copy I got for WireTap Pro I thought would work out. I guessed it changed with the free/trial version of Wire Tap Pro. When you record then play your recording you hear a voice saying the track was recorded with a trial version of WTP. Just a heads up.

Maybe it doesn't do that with an older version, but it did when I down loaded/ So I just payed the few bucks and got a reg. code for it. And now it works great. :)

I still have yet to have luck with Audacity on my system. So I just gave up on that. So I cant be of assistance in helping the one person in this thread. I'm sure someone else would be happy to help though.

IMO, WTP is good enough for what I needed. So paying the few bucks was cool with me. But for someone who just needs an app. like this to use very rarely, and not often at all then Audacity is the way to go from what I hear and understand. Its a decent little app for those that get it to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I can't seem to get Audacity working with my Griffin iMic.

Has anyone successfully used their iMic with either WireTap or AudioHijack?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
caribiner23 said:
I can't seem to get Audacity working with my Griffin iMic.

Has anyone successfully used their iMic with either WireTap or AudioHijack?
I cant get Audacity to work at all for me on my PM G5 either. As Ive said, Ive heard its a great application. But its worthless to me as I can not get it to work. Dont know why?! But I bought wiretap pro and found that to be of great use.

I use WireTapPro with no problems with my PM G5. IMHO, WTP is well worth it and works great. For me anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.