Viewing Windows Partition on multi partition CD

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just got myself my first ever MAC (iMac 27" 3.2 i3). Always had PCs but decided to jump the fence this time. I am hoping to understand what people mean when they say "Macs just work!!!"

Anyways I have a question and hope im posting it in the right place.

I have a laptop (Win XP Pro) that does not have an optical drive. I have a printer attached to it and a CD to install the drivers.

I was hoping to just put the CD into my mac and grab the files I wanted and copy them onto a USB or network drive but when I put the CD in all I can see is the Installation folders for the mac.

Is there anyway to see the windows files I need?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Depends on how the disc is wrtten but you should be able to see them in Finder.

If not, why not just download the Printer drivers from the manufacturers website?

OP
T
Reaction score
I was not able to see them in finder but I know it has installs on it for OSx and windows as I got hold of another Laptop (win xp) with a cd drive and I could see the windows and OSx files.

I got the files off the internet in the end but it took over 2hrs as my internet was playing up.

Although I have worked around it in this cause I would still like to know if there is a way to do it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It depends on what format the installation disk is using but generally you can see Windows folders and files in the Finder and can copy them to a flash drive or external drive. I do that all the time. However, some disks which have both OS X and Windows installations on them will "hide" the other operation system.

OP
T
Reaction score
Cheers for the replies, appreciate the help.

Even if the windows partition is hidden from OSx surly there is a way to view/extract these files. I can think of several programs on the windows platform to do exactly this but am havin a no luck on google finding any on osx as it's just popping up multiple boot OS etc. ...

Reaction score
Cheers for the replies, appreciate the help.

Even if the windows partition is hidden from OSx surly there is a way to view/extract these files. I can think of several programs on the windows platform to do exactly this but am havin a no luck on google finding any on osx as it's just popping up multiple boot OS etc. ...

I know this is an old thread and probably you already have a new printer, anyway, I found a solution as I was struggling with the same issue:

Mount CD-ROMs as a Windows user would see them - Mac OS X Hints

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.