how to know the operating system on mac.etc....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 11inch, Ipod touch 8gigs 4th+Iphone 3GS, Ipod nano 1.1
Hi,

please tell me how do i know the os version on my mac....
i am purchasing 11-inch : 64GB
1.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
2GB memory
64GB flash storage
NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics

from dubai on 20th...
and need to know the specifications....
and if it is a wise choice...
currently i use dell studio xps m1640.
also need to know that....for
micromax mmx300c modem ....will it work on the mac

thank u very much

C

chas_m

1. You didn't tell us what kind of Mac you're purchasing. Sounds like its a MacBook Air?

2. How can you need to know the specifications when your message CONTAINS the specifications? What else do you want to know? The OS version is going to be 10.6.6 if you are buying it new.

3. Without knowing anything about you, or why you're buying it from Dubai, or what you intend to do with it, I don't see how we could possibly tell you it's a "wise" choice or not.

4. Sorry, a quick Google search did not turn up a definitive answer. My advice would be to buy the modem from someplace that has an easy return policy until you are sure it works.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to chas_m again...??????

thank you very much for your prompt reply.....
most of my query is solved....

i am buying it from dubai as i am going for a vacation....and same macbook air is costly in india.....nearly 300$..
also.. i wanted to know whether i should go for 11inch or 13inch one.....
i wanted to know my os version ....which u told me...thanks....

when a new os comes can i upgrade it....as it doesnt have an optical drive....they provide a usb stick....for that matter...

and i suppose this modem will not work with MAC...

and last query is whether it has wi-fi......

thank you very much.....ur help greatly appreciated....
i posted in man websites but still no reply....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
All you have to do is click on the Apple menu at the top left of your menu bar, and it will display some basic information, including the OS version.

I don't know why your modem wouldn't work with a Mac... what are you referring to here? It should work with any modem you have. You don't need special Mac peripherals or accessories.

And all Macs come with built in Airport for wifi.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All you have to do is click on the Apple menu at the top left of your menu bar, and it will display some basic information, including the OS version.

I don't know why your modem wouldn't work with a Mac... what are you referring to here? It should work with any modem you have. You don't need special Mac peripherals or accessories.

And all Macs come with built in Airport for wifi.

ok thank you very much....
but it says
Thank you for your Email, we would like to inform you that Micromax 300c is
compitable only with Win2000/ XP/VISTA.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thank you very much....
but it says
Thank you for your Email, we would like to inform you that Micromax 300c is
compitable only with Win2000/ XP/VISTA.

and also....if i connect a pen drive will it work as it works with windows....as a simple removable device

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
A USB device will be mounted when you plug it in and you will see the device on the desktop. Depending on how it is formatted, you may or may not have to make some changes. For instance, if it is formatted with the FAT filesystem, you will have no issue reading and writing to the disk. If it is formatted with the NTFS filesystem, you will have to make some changes to how OS X mounts the disk.

If I understand this correctly, the Micromax 300c is a USB dongle for CDMA networks. That said, it may or may not work (can't know for sure not having ever used one). Contact the manufacturer or the service provider and ask them if it works with the Mac - they would know better than we would.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A USB device will be mounted when you plug it in and you will see the device on the desktop. Depending on how it is formatted, you may or may not have to make some changes. For instance, if it is formatted with the FAT filesystem, you will have no issue reading and writing to the disk. If it is formatted with the NTFS filesystem, you will have to make some changes to how OS X mounts the disk.

If I understand this correctly, the Micromax 300c is a USB dongle for CDMA networks. That said, it may or may not work (can't know for sure not having ever used one). Contact the manufacturer or the service provider and ask them if it works with the Mac - they would know better than we would.

yes thank you very much......and it is a usb dongle.....i contacted the manufacturer and they said it is only compatible to windows xp/vista/7......
now i have heard that you can make drivers......is it a rumour or a fact...
and if yes then how for this particular device.....thank u

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I guess it's technically possible to make drivers for that device but that would require programming expertise. Your best bet would be to see if someone has developed a Mac driver for that device. Even if they have, it may or may not work properly. Ultimately, if the official manufacturer only supports Windows, you may be out of luck.

C

chas_m

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to chas_m again...??????

Thank you for the thought, however!

also.. i wanted to know whether i should go for 11inch or 13inch one.....

To this I have to say that depends on how good your eyesight is! :)

when a new os comes can i upgrade it....

Yes. Minor upgrades (such as the upcoming 10.6.7) are free and will come to you via Software Update. Full new releases (like 10.7, coming late summer probably) cost money. By the time this happens, I expect Apple will have developed a way to download the update in parts (since it will be huge) into your MacBook Air, but the Air also has the ability to "borrow" a nearby Mac's optical drive wirelessly for software installs, and perhaps that will be the method used.

....they provide a usb stick....for that matter...

That is also a possibility. A good idea, in fact!

and i suppose this modem will not work with MAC...

It's "Mac" not "MAC." It's not an acronym for anything, just a nickname for "Macintosh."

and last query is whether it has wi-fi......

Yes.

C

chas_m

and also....if i connect a pen drive will it work as it works with windows....as a simple removable device

Simply put, yes it will. Don't forget to properly eject it before pulling it out of the USB socket. People tend to forget to do that.

C

chas_m

how do i know model number.....

Apple doesn't really use "model numbers" per se. To find your "model number," select the Apple menu from the menu bar (far left), choose "About this Mac" then click on "More Info." A program called "System Profiler" will show up, and the first two lines of information will show you the name and model identifier of your machine:

Screen shot 2011-03-14 at 11.27.jpg

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you chas_m....and ur essay for switchers and newbies is exceptionally brilliant.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.