Thoughts on deleting applications to free disk space

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac 0SX 10.5.7 2.4. GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hullo

I have an iMac OSX version 10.6.6. My hobby is photography and have Lightroom, Photoshop Elements and many other plug-ins that assist me in my hobby.

My thoughts are to uninstall iDVD; and iMovie and iPhoto which I do not use at all to free up my disk space on my computer.

I would like some feedback on the pros and cons of the above action.

thank you

Sue

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It won't necessarily hurt to remove those programs if you don't use them. It won't really save as much space though if all you remove are those programs. I forget the exact numbers but those three programs take up less than one GB on my system. If you have some library files are other support files for these programs and removed those it would save additional space. That's unlikely though if you don't use them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
An external HD is your best option, and not a very expensive option now a days!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You'll save a few hundred MBs by deleting those apps (although the iDVD themes may be a few additional gigs).

Are you running that low on space?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac 0SX 10.5.7 2.4. GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
My Mac has crashed 3 times in the last 2 months. - Hard drive rebuilt etc. etc.
I have been advised to get rid of all the stuff on my computer.

I have increased my hard drive to a 2 Tbyte - have a 500 HD and will be purchasing another.

Just want to make sure that I and my computer does not go through the inconvenience again.

Sue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
My Mac has crashed 3 times in the last 2 months. - Hard drive rebuilt etc. etc.
I have been advised to get rid of all the stuff on my computer.

I have increased my hard drive to a 2 Tbyte - have a 500 HD and will be purchasing another.

Just want to make sure that I and my computer does not go through the inconvenience again.

Sue

Etc etc? You say that as if it is the norm, when it is FAR from it. And what exactly does rebuilt mean? Do you mean wiped clean and had the OS freshly installed? And whom ever "advised" you, really shouldn't be doling out such inconvenient and poor advice, because it's absolute nonsense, to be quite frank with you. Is this person a wanna be techie? Sounds like it, or just someone not quite OS X savvy.

The amount of apps residing on one's hard drive has nothing to do with the price of tea in China or relate to crashing in ANY way. If you had very little space left, like say 10 gigs, you'd likely see slow downs in performance, but not crashing, because it's not related as far as I know. Buggy apps , missing or corrupted library files...these are things that cause apps to crash, but not the entire OS.

For the OS to crash, you've got to have something else entirely, going on. Did you ever bother taking it to apple for a proper evaluation? Because I hope you realize that unless you're lucky, and something was physically wrong with that first hard drive, what ever is causing the crashes, is still present and likely to make another appearance at some point.

And even if it WAS that hard drive, you need to get it out of your head that the amount of apps on it, played any role in its demise whatsoever. But if you didn't take it to Apple for diagnostic checks, then how would you ever know?

Let's hope you get extremely lucky.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.