Disk Problems - any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
I'll try to keep this like a mini skirt - long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep it interesting.

I upgraded my HD and RAM soon after Christmas and ever since have noticed a steady increase in problems with my 2006 MBP. Here is what I have encountered recently and what I have done to try to diagnose/remedy the problems:

1. Last Monday on start-up the computer spent several minutes in a never ending loop after the apple logo screen, but before the desktop ever showed up (the screen kept changing between two shades of blue). Not sure what it was trying to do, but I eventually had to force the computer to shut down by holding the power button. It started normally upon the second attempt.

2. When I look at the log from the Console utility I see the error message, "ALF error: cannot find useragent 1102." This error message shows up about 30 seconds after start-up is intiated.

3. I ran the detailed hardware test on the OS installation disk and it found no problems.

4. I ran the disk repair tool on the installation disk. The first time I ran it it found two errors - something about a number of files that didn't match up with what should have been there. When it ran the disk repair again those errors didn't show up. I ran it two more times just to be sure the second successful run wasn't a fluke. I also verified and repaired disk permissions while I was running the disk utility.

5. I started the computer and ran all clean-up utlities in OnyX. When it checked the S.M.A.R.T. status of my disk it found no errors. However, when it checked the structure of the volume it told me, "The volume needs to be repaired" by using the disk repair tool on the installation disk. So I did that once more (for the 5th time) and it found no errors. After restarting I ran OnyX again and it still told me the disk needed to be repaired.

6. I installed SMARTReporter so I could be notified of any potential disk problems as they were happenening. Every now and then it pops up this message:

screenshot20110313at125.png

(somehow my drive's name was changed to "bqw," but I have since changed it back to Macintosh HD)

I'm going to get in touch with Samsung (maker of my new hard drive) and Newegg (where I bought it) tomorrow to see what I can do about replacing the hard drive, because I'm 90% sure it's a faulty drive. However, will I have any luck considering all hardware diagnostics are saying nothing's wrong with the drive? Is there anything else I can do to try to fix this?

Thanks a ton.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm going to get in touch with Samsung (maker of my new hard drive) and Newegg (where I bought it) tomorrow to see what I can do about replacing the hard drive, because I'm 90% sure it's a faulty drive. However, will I have any luck considering all hardware diagnostics are saying nothing's wrong with the drive? Is there anything else I can do to try to fix this?

It's not unusual for a drive to act that way. I have had hard drives fail even after passing extensive tests with diagnostic software. And that's because there's no way to test the electronics on the drive. The tests conducted by most software including Smart Reporter only test the storage structure of the drive. Drive manufacturers have the proper diagnostic tools to test everything.

Bottom line: Replace the drive. Make sure you backup all your data while you can.

OP
AUZambo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks.

I called Samsung and they're going to send me a replacement. I was hoping to get my money back from Newegg so I could buy another brand, but I'm outside the return deadline. This drive had better reviews on Newegg than any of the other comparable drives, so hopefully the one I got was just a dud.

OP
AUZambo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I called and set up a RMA (return merchandise authorization or something like that) with Samsung and I have to mail them my drive first...but they specified to mail it in a static free sleeve. Any idea where to get one of those.

BTW, I did a complete reformat and reinstall of snow leopard and I still got that I/O error message in #6 above. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case, but oh well.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Drop in at your local Radio Shack store and ask if they have any in stock. They used to sell the anti-static wrapping (pink stuff) and containers. I don't know if they still stock them. Another source would be any local computer repair shop. Just ask if they have a spare hard drive anti-static bag laying around not being used.

If you lived close to me I would be happy to give you one. I have about 6 of them sitting in my junk box. :)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
You lost me after mini-skirt...O:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.