Trojan

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had my macbook for about 4 years now and have never experienced what happened this evening....

I opened an email tonight (no attachment with the email) and received a warning message stating that the message contained a trojan horse. The message continued to say that I should immediately download "something something". I exited the window I was in and canceled the download (unsure of what was happening) then reset safari.

Is there something else I should do to assure that my computer is secure and absent of a virus?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
It sounds like it could have been a bogus site trying to sell you something you didn't need by frightening you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Check your DNS settings in Network preferences to make sure that the only DNS values are yours and not something trying to re route you to a bogus site whenever you're online.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The best bet when something like this pops up is close the browser because hitting cancel
or stop is almost the same as ok or start.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Ah, I ran over such one site once.
Can't remember what it was but it gave me the fake PC virus alert window and started downloading a .exe.
And then because I was curious what had just happened, I reloaded the page and let it run again :D
Might seem risky but .exes can't run on Mac so I'm safe. O:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.