Magic mouse drops wifi connection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 GHz i7
So I went and bought a magic mouse
haven't tried it at my house yet
but when use it at my girlfriend's place the wifi keeps dropping, but once reconnect it'll be fixed for a while and drop again until i turn the magic mouse off

The owner of the place is not around so there's no access to the router
what can i do to fix this problem?

have anyone else encountered the same problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
The magic mouse uses bluetooth, so the router will not even come into play.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The Wifi router is most likely operating at 2.4Ghz, the same frequency as the Bluetooth, so depending on how new or old the router is it might be possible that it's picking up interference and not dealing with it properly.

If you had access to the router, you could try changing the WiFi channel to see if it got better..

Regards

OP
Milca604
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 GHz i7
Thank you Raz0rEdge
I wasn't sure why bluetooth and wifi would conflict
now i know

thank you

I have no access to the router so... i guess i'll just play with my trackpad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Thank you Raz0rEdge
I wasn't sure why bluetooth and wifi would conflict
now i know

thank you

I have no access to the router so... i guess i'll just play with my trackpad

Is it doing the same at your place, or have you been able to try it yet? It is pretty rare that BT and WIFI interfere due to the fact that BT uses very low power signals, and uses spread spectrum frequency hopping which means it uses a different portion of the 2.4GHz band around 1500 times a second. Also, Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR has adaptive frequency hopping which allows it to determine the quality of signal in the band and determine if there is interference from other wireless products.

If you use it on your router and see the same symptoms I would return and get the magic mouse replaced.

OP
Milca604
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 GHz i7
Is it doing the same at your place, or have you been able to try it yet? It is pretty rare that BT and WIFI interfere due to the fact that BT uses very low power signals, and uses spread spectrum frequency hopping which means it uses a different portion of the 2.4GHz band around 1500 times a second. Also, Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR has adaptive frequency hopping which allows it to determine the quality of signal in the band and determine if there is interference from other wireless products.

If you use it on your router and see the same symptoms I would return and get the magic mouse replaced.

I just tried it at my house last night for about 3 hours (dlink)
no wifi signal dropping
So I think it's the router's problem (linksys)
i've done some research on the internet and there are people with the same problem with linksys router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Mighty Mouse and Linskys WAG120N causes no troubles whatsoever. Do not have a hands free Uniden or similar phone nearby?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, AppleTV2 (x2), iPad1
Is the WiFi signal very low? If so, the Bluetooth signal may be overshadowing it regardless of exact frequency. As long as it's in the same band (2.4 GHz) it's possible. If the signal coming from the router were stronger (such as if you were closer to it), the issue may stop.

OP
Milca604
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 GHz i7
Is the WiFi signal very low? If so, the Bluetooth signal may be overshadowing it regardless of exact frequency. As long as it's in the same band (2.4 GHz) it's possible. If the signal coming from the router were stronger (such as if you were closer to it), the issue may stop.

thank you
I think you're probably right
the router is upstair and
my iphone can't find the wifi connection most of the time

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.