iTunes Renaming Songs in library

Reaction score
Hello all, just made the switch last week to the world of Apple in the computer sense (since I am already a iPhone user I thought lets jump in with both feet).

I had my iTunes folder on a Maxtor 750GB with my HP PC. When I connected the Maxtor to the iMac, it recognized the location of the files and I was able to listen to the songs etc.

Since I am new to the OS, I figured I could go in and clean out my iTunes by removing duplicates etc. and this would be a good way to familiarize That went well. I now have some songs that are mislabeled and I want to go and change the names to the correct name\artist etc. I researched and found that if I use the Get Info option I could edit but when I go there I can't edit.

Am I missing something? I really do not want to go back into my PC and rename them...any ideas???

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Pro [2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD]
I noticed this happened on my PC a while back. When you purchased/downloaded songs, you probably had your PC open them with iTunes by default, rather than have them download to somewhere and saved, then dragged in manually. On my HP laptop, when I did that, I noticed that I could not edit any info on the track at all, and had to re-download it and drag it into my iTunes. When I downloaded my music through my web browser, and had it save to my desktop, then dragged in manually, I was able to change all of the information of the file. I was probably making it more complicated than it really was, but I hope it gives you some insight on your problem. :-/

Good luck.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Am guessing your Maxtor is formatted as NTFS?

This means OS X can read, but not write to that drive.
You need to enable writing to NTFS from within OS X.

I recommend spending the money for Paragon's NTFS for OS X.

Snow Leopard does have the ability to write to NTFS volumes, but it has not been enabled by Apple and is presumed by most to be in beta. You can enable it with NTFS Mounter.

OP
D
Reaction score
I was wondering if the drive format could be an issue but since I was able to see it I passed on that.

I have another drive that I was going to use for backup on the iMac.
If I format it for OS X and then move the files over will that work? I don't mind spending the 20.00 for the program but if I don't need to I'd rather not.

BTW I appreciate the help. :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That'll work also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.