Is there any way around this? "an older item already exists do you want to REPLACE" ?

Reaction score
i do a lot of screen captures and sometimes when im re-organizing them into different folders i get a window prompt saying "an older item named 'picture 7' with extnesion 'png' already exists in this location. do you want to replace it with the newer one you are moving?" its very annoying because then i have to rename the file and it takes up a lot of time.

isnt there a loophole around this? i notice that if i save a jpg from the web and drag it to my desktop...i can do this as many times as i want and no prompt will come up....it will automatically allow me to add the photo into the folder despite having the same file name...it will just automaticallyadd a sequential number to the end of the file name. so if the file name is "a.jpg" it will just say "a-1.jpg" "a-2.jpg" and so on....

is there a setting where i can have it do the same thing when im dragging items from folder to folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
No, not in the basic OS. I've never run across an add-on that does that either, but maybe someone else has...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.