nightmare with localhost

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm a web developer who's just moved over to Mac. I've been happily running XAMPP/WAMPP on Windows machines for years. I instsalled MAMPP on my Mac but I can't get any files to appear via localhost that were created on Windows machines.

Localhost itself works - I see the folder directory and pages made afresh on my Mac DO appear - it's just pages made elsewhere then imported onto my Mac that don't show up. The server response is "remote server file not found".

I've been into the folders' 'get info' areas and the file permissions seem OK. This is a headache and seems bizarrely difficult.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
What sort of pages where you making that you're trying to import to mac?

Are the DEFIANTLY in the right folder? ie. /Applications/MAMP/htdocs The fact that they are not showing up in that folder tree makes me think that they aren't where they should be.

What happens if you drop a page you've made on a PC into a folder in that htdocs location that you've made on you're mac? Can you see it then?

Is the Apache port set to 80?

OP
M
Reaction score
Everything is in htdocs. I have had this site working before in the same location, but I did some work on it on my work PC (Windows) then saved it on USB and put it back on my Mac, and now this problem.

In the same directory, if I make a page anew and load it up, it appears, because it was made on my Mac and not outside of it.

If I was in the wrong place completely I would be getting a different error code; this simply says the 'remote server file was not found.'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
If I was in the wrong place completely I would be getting a different error code; this simply says the 'remote server file was not found.'

Yeah I think this too but I just wanted to check. I don't think that it should say 'remote server.' To my understanding there isn't a remote server as you're trying to run it of the localhost.

What sort of files are you coding? php? html? xml?
What are you coding it with on Windows and what are you using on Mac? Dreamweaver? TextMate? BBEdit? Visual Studio?

How are you trying to get to the files? Are you just typing the link that you think it should be into the address bar? ie. http://localhost/{NAME OF PAGE}.{EXTENSION}

I think that something is being dropped into the page you're coding by the program that you're using to code it on windows that is trying to look for the file on you're windows local server. Sounds a bit odd and I've no idea why it would be doing that but it's all I can think of just now.

Sorry for the million questions. Trust me here, I know exactly how frustrated you're feeling!

OP
M
Reaction score
Hey hojkoff_101 - thanks for the comeback.

I edit in standard code editors - specifically 'e' on Windows and Komdo on Mac. I access pages as I always have - via http://localhost:8888/{sitedir}{etc...}

As I say, my site DID load using that address - then I updated the files with versions I'd edited on Windows. The directory structure, pathnames etc is unchanged.

I'm coding PHP but it makes no difference if I try to load HTML or PHP files. It seems to be all about Mac not allowing Apache (which is running, by the way - other files, created on my Mac, do show) to read those files.

I have had this issue before; as soon as I installed MAMPP I could not load up any of the files in my htdocs folder. I remedied this by setting the permissions to 'read and write' for all accounts (surely this shouldn't be necessary!) but this time that's not working.

As for 'remote server file', I guess that's just a generic message Opera throws up when given this error code (i.e. it assumes I"m on a remote server).

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
http://localhost:8888/{sitedir}{etc...}

Try changing the Apache server from 8888 to 80. I don't know why it defaults to 8888. Don't worry you can change it back. I doubt this will fix it but it's worth a go.

I don't know how to do this with XAMPP as I use MAMP but it should be pretty simple.

If it's about file permissions then I really don't know what to say. I know nothing about all that sort of thing.

What happens if you try and open the updated files from windows up on your mac and then save them using the mac side? That might work. I know it won't fix the problem completely but if it does work then I'd say it was the permissions that are messing up.

I've said this before in my life and I'm sure this time won't be that last, "this is what happened when Microsoft get involved! Everything goes to the wall!"

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm on MAMPP, too, not XAMPP (tried the latter, which I've always used on Windows, but it had issues with HTAccess on Mac).

MAMPP seems to run on 8888, at least for me. Trying to access http://localhost:80 brings up a 404 :(

lol re: Microsoft - however in the interests of playing devil's advocate, this all worked on my Windows machine just fine!! :)

Thanks for your continued help

Reaction score
Look at the code in a plain-text editor.
Something may be amiss, as was mentioned in an earlier post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.