Macbook Pro LCD Swap -

Reaction score
I have a 15" Macbook Pro (A1150) that has a destroyed screen. I had a similar 15.4 WXGA (not WXGA+) kicking around from a Dell that I swapped into the Mac. The only difference that I could find in the specs between the two screens was the resolution, 1280x768 rather than the original 1440x900 screen.
At boot up everything looked good with the apple logo displaying properly, as soon as the desktop loaded it wasn't displaying at the proper resolution, it was actually nothing but a few horizontal and vertical lines and a couple blocks of colors. I'm currently using an external display. Is there anything I can do to force the correct resolution at boot or otherwise?
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, not without getting an exact replacement LCD. Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up your model. They have replacement LCDs for most Mac notebook computers.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It looks like I found a way around the resolution issue. After booting up with the laptop closed with an external display I waited until I was at the desktop then I flipped up the screen, which stayed black, and then unplugged the external display. About 3-5 seconds later the laptop screen turned on and the resolution was spot on!

OP
T
Reaction score
I raise the same question again, is there anything I can do using terminal to change the default resolution? It's apparent that the video card can drive the proper res when it's forced to.

OP
T
Reaction score
bump....I still have the same issue, is there something that I can do with the cscreen app in terminal?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try SwitchResX 4. Download from here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.