Alternative Office Programs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
By Alternatie i mean free
and by Office i mean like Powerpoint, Word, Etc.

So, any suggestions?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is Open Office and Neo Office. Open Office is really for Linux but there is a version that runs great on OSX if you install X11 from the OSX CD. The reason I prefer NeoOffice is they took the Open Office project and made it more OSX Aqua so it looks and works a lot more like a real OSX Application. Both are free but I use NeoOffice as it loads faster and does not need X11 to load first, plus it looks and works a lot more like a real Mac application. Both do Word, Excel and Power Point and are quite compatible with Microsoft Office documents.

Hope that helps you.

iWork is getting there but there still is not an Excel application included, but Pages works great, but it's $79. Try NeoOffice. You can not beat the price!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
yea id stick with neo office as i cant even get open office working and i have X11 installed!

also OOo is about to finalise open office 2 so there will be a new neo office coming as soon as OOo2 passes beta testing

U

UncSki1218

yeah definetly go neooffice. it is the best thing besides ms office ( i hate to say that)

M

mangoSharingan

My vote also goes for NeoOffice. No need for X11 because it's quite slow. Haven't personally used it though because I'm using Microsoft Office 2004 :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.