Don't update Security on Panther

G

Graphix

I just did a security update on Panther and it screwed up my internet and iChat. It even made my computer really slow. So don't do it!! Apple needs to work out the bug on this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
thats funny. i did the update and did not notice a single difference in any performanecs

OP
H

hokiethang

trpnmonkey41 said:
thats funny. i did the update and did not notice a single difference in any performanecs

As did I, no change in anything. I would also assume that there is no bug that would affect internet because the patch was to fix a problem with quicktime java.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Works excellent for me. Did you do an upgrade or a clean install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I installed and everything is good....I notice no difference.

OP
I

Iraqi Pete

Graphix said:
I just did a security update on Panther and it screwed up my internet and iChat. It even made my computer really slow. So don't do it!! Apple needs to work out the bug on this one.

Doing an upgrade will make your system slower. I don't know why this is but was experience serious slowdown when burning a CD and accessing simple terminal applications.

Java was also screwed so I did an archive and install. Performance issues are fixed and so are my Java issues. Try that.

OP
H

hokiethang

Iraqi Pete said:
Doing an upgrade will make your system slower. I don't know why this is but was experience serious slowdown when burning a CD and accessing simple terminal applications.

Java was also screwed so I did an archive and install. Performance issues are fixed and so are my Java issues. Try that.

I dont know, i did an upgrade on my powerbook and its just as fast as it was before, im sure its probably faster on a clean install, but the clean install i did was on a much much slower machine, so the performance increases werent that great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.