MacbookPro i5 Ram usage

Reaction score
Can you tell me what your ram usage at idle is mine seems hi at 1.72 gb

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
We already know that's not at boot up. That's after you've been up and running for awhile.

Someone else's RAM usage is going to have no bearing on yours. The apps they use will be different than yours and how much each of those will store in memory for fast access when you open them back up will be different.

Whether the CPU is sitting at idle has no bearing on the amount of RAM that has been used. Mine is currently at 97% idle and have 1.95GB of RAM used. My machine also has not been shut down in maybe a week.

OP
K
Reaction score
yes thats after about 2 hours with no apps running but activity monitor. at start up its around 1.2 gb

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
sounds fine to me. as long as you have little/no pageouts, there is no need to worry, you have sufficient RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Also, the more RAM that you have installed, the more RAM that your machine will utilise.... Sounds strange I know, but you need to take into account how it will use the RAM if you have ample available.
For instance, during the same tasks, under the same conditions, my i5 MBP with 4GB RAM used less RAM than it did when I had 8GB installed, however, it is more so about how it used the RAM that was available.

I found a really good article a while back but can't find it now.

Hopefully someone can chime in and explain it.

Meanwhile, you can read this:
Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

OP
K
Reaction score
I have been having beach ball"s and freezing issues the mac genius thought the ram usage was a little high and causing these problems he told me to monitor it and he wiped and reinstalled the os due to that but I'm still having problems it's upsetting as i have heard such good things about mac (this is my first) but at this point I can't agree seems was overpriced for a machine that is crashing all the time thats why I replace my 6 yo hp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Sounds more like a faulty HD!

BTW ....you add all this info now rather than in your initial post followed with a gripe about what you value the Mac's worth to be!

You are still under warranty, and if it's not running as it should, take it to Apple and give them a chance to get it running properly.

OP
K
Reaction score
I did take it to apple and also called Cuppertino. I'm not slamming apple I'm just disappointed in the product

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im with 6string on this one.

if it is a hard drive issue, then you would have to blame hitachi, and not Apple.

OP
K
Reaction score
apple ran a diagnostic and said no hardware issues thats when he came up with the ram question

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what are your mac specs? how much ram do you have installed? when does the beach ball usually occur?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
apple ran a diagnostic and said no hardware issues thats when he came up with the ram question

Make an appointment an have them look at it again.

If they see there is a problem and can't fix it, after 3 attempts at the same problem, talk to the manager about getting a replacement unit.
Otherwise, call customer care.

Do all this with a pleasant demeanour and no chip on your shoulder.

Mind you, if you are getting beach balling and freezing while doing certain tasks, you should be able to emulate that when you are at the genius bar.

OP
K
Reaction score
there doesn't seem to be any one thing that will do this just general use. BTW it's a 15" 2.4 GHz i5 320 gb hard drive 4 gb ram

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
there doesn't seem to be any one thing that will do this just general use. BTW it's a 15" 2.4 GHz i5 320 gb hard drive 4 gb ram

Have no idea what this means!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well you definitely have enough RAM. your slow downs arent caused by too little RAM i.e where it has to use virtual memory from the hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.