Is it worth fixing it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (mid 2009, 15”, 2.66GHz, GeForce 9400M & 9600M GT 256 MB) | iPod Touch 4g | iPad
Hi people!

I have a MacBook Pro that broke down and I need some help on whether it is worth fixing it and (especially) on how much it could cost. :Oops:

One day I tried to open it but I couldn’t. The screen opened, I got the sound, the logo AND the loader pic. But it never loaded.

I took it to an apple reseller and the guys there did some tricks and said that probably my hard drive died. The next possible scenario was that my mother board died but I didn’t even want to think about that!

So they suggested sending it for repair and that I should expect about €300 bill (to change a disk?) :Confused:

My alternative was to take it to an apple approved data recovery center to get my data (since there is never a good back-up when needed).

Anyway, I took it to the data recovery center just to see how much it would be. The amount was a lot less than I expected so I decided to go for data recovery and get a windows machine because I needed a computer urgently (and I couldn’t afford a new MBP). :[

The data recovery guy just gave it back because, as he said, the disk is fine. It’s a motherboard problem.

I removed the disk, put it into an external case and I plugged it into the USB. I press the power button and then Command+Y and IT OPENED! :D

So, what does that mean? The computer seems to work fine (of course slower because it’s drive is on USB but fine).

This means that the problem is on the connection of the internal disk with the board?

Does it mean that fixing it is possible/worth it? :\

Thank you very much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
To be honest, probably not. Logic boards are expensive, roughly 60% of the cost of a new Mac, plus fitting.
Your Mac isn't that old mind you. May be worth mailing Apple. I doubt you'll get anywhere, but don't ask, don't get....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
might just be a loose connection, but you are going to have to ddo a tear down to find out if the connector has just come loose.

Go over to iFixit, find the model for that MacBook pro and it will have a tear down guide if you wish to reapir it yourself

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Late 2011 2.2ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 128GB OCZ-VERTEX4 SSD, 500GB SATA HD
Could be the Hard disk controller cable

I would tear it down and see if its loose if not I would purchase a new Hard disk cable and see if that sorts out the issue

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (mid 2009, 15”, 2.66GHz, GeForce 9400M & 9600M GT 256 MB) | iPod Touch 4g | iPad
Thank you all for your fast responds.

I opened it, I pushed the cable, it seemed fine and I tried opening it.

I got the same thing.

I did however learned that the disk does activates when the computer starts.

This means that power goes to the disk and therefore the cable works.
Is there any chance for the cable to be able to send power but not data? Or should I just send it for recycle? :[

May be worth mailing Apple. I doubt you'll get anywhere, but don't ask, don't get....
Mailing to Apple to ask for what? a motherboard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Late 2011 2.2ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 128GB OCZ-VERTEX4 SSD, 500GB SATA HD
Could possibly still be the cable as one part of it could be failing but the other might not be i.e. the power.

If you can get hold of a cable it may well worth be a try if it doesn't work after that however it could be the the hard disk controller on the logic board that has gone wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Mailing to Apple to ask for what? a motherboard?

Yep, ask them if there's any chance of replacement as the machine is barely out of warranty.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could possibly still be the cable as one part of it could be failing but the other might not be i.e. the power.

Thank you, I will try to find a cable from... somewhere...

Yep, ask them if there's any chance of replacement as the machine is barely out of warranty.

I bought the computer from ebay and I found the payment's email. I paid for it on 16/11/09 and this takes me off the warranty... (the first problem appeared on 22/12/10, a month out of warranty! -damm...)

Is there any chance they will cover it? Do they do this?
How can I contact them anyway?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Email customer service, give them the full details of all that's wrong, and just ask. They have occasionally been known to honour things when it's that close to warranty expiration.
You can find the contact details on the Apple web site.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.