Problem with daylight savings time?

Reaction score
So i think that the US is springing forward timewise tonight at 2am EST. Where I am, it is currently 1:05am... However, my iphone as of right now is reading 12:05 am. If it was automatically adjusting, wouldnt it read 2:05am?

is anyone else having this problem?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
At 2am, it should set itself forward to 3am. Never had any issue with any of my Apple devices, either the Macs or the iPods.

OP
M
Reaction score
i was hoping it would. i just thought that it was weird that it set itself back one hour first, only to jump forward two hours at 2am?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i was hoping it would. i just thought that it was weird that it set itself back one hour first, only to jump forward two hours at 2am?

Sorry, I misread your first statement. What time zone are you actually in? Yes, in the US, your clock should be set forward an hour, provided you are not in Arizona, where DST is not observed.

OP
M
Reaction score
I am in Maryland, so Eastern Standard Time. My iPhone is still displaying 1242am, despite the official time being 142am. I was just worried that my alarms will get thrown off tomorrow morning. I might as well just wait the 18 or so minutes to see what the phone decides to do. It just struck me as odd that it jumped back an hour

OP
M
Reaction score
Problem solved. it jumped forward 2 hours. weird, but i guess it worked out. thanks for help

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Not sure, if Apple fixed the DST bug in iOS 4.2. Having a hard time finding it in the release notes of 4.3. Guess, we'll know later into the day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
FWIW, the iPhone itself doesn't necessarily control the time on your iPhone, the time in 99% of cases will by synced from your mobile provider's network. So until they update the time on their network, your time on the phone won't necessarily be correct.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Daylight Savings Time is Evil!

A little off topic, but I thought I would take the opportunity to vent. :)

Ok, I'm good until we have to go through this again in Oct.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A little off topic, but I thought I would take the opportunity to vent. :)

I just don't get why it can't be daylight savings time all the time. It's not 1915. Times change. The days are short enough in the winter time, why shorten them by an hour?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just don't get why it can't be daylight savings time all the time. It's not 1915. Times change. The days are short enough in the winter time, why shorten them by an hour?

I agree!

IMO either leave things alone, or since we have the technology, adjust weekly. Pick a city in each time zone and set it up so every Sunday morning the sun rises at 6:00 am. At least that way our biological clocks wouldn't get so out of whack.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know of anyone that likes getting home from work after dark - especially in the winter. I agree DST all the time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Not unless Arkansas is on a different schedule for DST ending. It officially ends at 2:00 AM on Nov 6th.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The biggest argument I heard for changing the time is in the winter months, moving the clock back an hour makes it lighter in the morning which is safer for kids walking to school.

That was a huge part of the argument against expanding DST a few years ago.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not unless Arkansas is on a different schedule for DST ending. It officially ends at 2:00 AM on Nov 6th.

I think that I am the one on a different schedule. Actually, couldn't remember when it ends. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
The biggest argument I heard for changing the time is in the winter months, moving the clock back an hour makes it lighter in the morning which is safer for kids walking to school.

That was a huge part of the argument against expanding DST a few years ago.

Works wonders up here where it's dark till 11:00 /sarcasm :D

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I remember walking to work at the school store in the morning in junior high; I always had to walk to school in the dark. Wasn't that bad, kids need to deal!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.26 13" | PowerMac G5 2.7 DP 8GB RAM | iPhone 4 16GB
I agree, DST SUCKS!

I've read some comments about people having the normal issues; time goes back instead of forward; time changes by two hours instead of one; alarm doesn't work; have to reboot phone, etc, etc, etc.

And yet, I'm having some unique issues altogether. The time changed fine early Sunday morning. No issues there. My alarm failed to work this morning. Disappointing but apparently par for the course on both the iPhone and with many others as well.

Here's the strange thing; the time-stamp on my SMS messages are ahead by TWO hours? What is up with that?

I've tried turning off "Set Automatically" which didn't work. I rebooted ans still, no correction.

I'm on the TELUS network in Calgary (Mountain Time zone) using the iPhone 4 with iOS 4.3.

Anyone else having this issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS, MBPro 13'' & MBAir 13''
Just wondering, has this DST issue popped up again?

I returned back in Europe recently after a business trip to Asia and my iPhone time is showing one hour less (i.e. DSY minus one hour) than it's supposed to be.

I've enabled the "Set automatically" time zone support and it has been working okay before in Europe and in the Far East. Furthermore I've travelled through a few other European countries and in each country it's consistently showing DST -1 hour, regardless of the network provider... :Confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.