Bootcamp bad performance, overheats

Reaction score
Hey guys, Ive owned a unibody MBP since Jan 09

specs

2.53ghz intel core 2 duo
4gb 1067 mhz ddr3
9400/9600 Nvidia GPUs

When I bought it, it came with leopard, I installed W7 Ultimate via Bootcamp and could play games for hours with no overheating issues.

Mainly the total war series, like rome or empire.

a month ago I installed Snow Leopard, and since that day, every single time I use bootcamp to play exactly the same games, It overheats, and turns off after a while, like 20 minutes.

I've installed every single update, firmware etc and still happens,
any idea on what's going on?
any solution?

thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are your fans working OK? Installing Snow Leopard should not have any impact on how hot the machine gets even while gaming. There really isn't an app to monitor heat and fans speeds when running Windows. Mother board monitoring programs available for Windows do not work.

You may have to open your machine and look inside to see if there is anything blocking the fans or vents. A can of compressed air can be used to blow dust around the fan blades and vents. Instructions for getting inside the machine are available at iFixit: The free repair manual.

To monitor fans speeds and temps while running Snow Leopard, download the free smcFanControl.

Reaction score
This is the same symptoms I had with my MBP a while ago.
I started playing a flight sim game in bootcamp, and the MBP would overheat and shut off.

Turns out, both fans were dead.
I installed smcFanControll and both fans read 0-RPM.

I also installed the iStat Pro widget from bjango - it was free.
It give you more details about your system - temps, fans, CPU, network - etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.